lhc1109

College Apps/Ballet Photos

23 posts in this topic

Now we don't have a fabulous camera and we have a couple of wonderful dance photographers in town, so I could not create a photo as professional as the ones we paid for. I tried, didn't work for us. So my experience with the quality is counter to hushin's, but again, that could be because we dealt with a dance photographer whose photos are glorious.

If she is applying to competitive colleges with Dance and Theatre, I'd suggest she create the best package you can manage her creating. Presentation may or may not be important depending on where she's looking, but I'd hate to think it did come down between two to their package. Just me, silly I know, but just me.

Does your DD graduate this spring calamitous or next year? If next spring, I'll share that we didn't do a traditional "Senior" photo package. We went to the school recommended photographer for our Senior yearbook photo "required photo" but then went to the dance photographer for headshots, action and threw in a few extras in regular clothing and cap and gown while at the dance photographer's. While we did pay her a little more than her normal rate, it was not the same as paying two photographers to get the job done.

Momof 3 - she finally graduates this spring, but has not done senior photos yet. School doesn't have a recommended place and the kids are on their own to get them.DD and her dad are supposed to be taking care of this and as fa as I can tell neyond the ... we need to get them done... nothing has happened.

I am not sure how competitive the programs are, She is applying to IU but in the contemporary program not ballet, Iowa and Marymount Manhatten as a BA, not BFA student so I don't know how it all factors in.

I'd like to bump this back up. DD is applying to and auditioning for several college programs, and I'm trying to figure out whether or not to get professional photos done. Would anyone with more recent experience be able to weigh in here as far as the necessity of it? I'm thinking we should, given the stakes are higher compared to SIs. But we don't have easy access to a high-quality dance photographer, so it becomes yet one more thing to schedule, in an already busy and expensive semester. Thanks in advance for anyone's two cents on the matter.

As a BFA graduate of a highly competitive ballet school, as well as a subsequent professional ballet dancer, I really don't feel there is any need to schedule/pay for a high-quality dance photographer for university application photos. Dancers will be accepted based on their performance audition, not their photos.

That being said, I would definitely have nice photos taken in good lighting and classical dancewear at the student's ballet studio. Using a camera instead of a smart phone helps with any pixelation/graininess issues, but to me, "nice photos" means good lighting contrast, not blurry, etc. As long as the dancer is dressed classically (no rolled up tights, dirty shoes, skirts, messy hair, or loud-patterned leotards), the technique is the best it can be (fully en pointe, maximum turn-out, not strained), and the lighting is ideal (not weirdly shaded, not lit so brightly that legs in pink tights almost blend into the color of the white wall behind them) then the photos will be readily accepted. In fact, my university used to post the requested full-length dance photos of all the incoming freshman in the lobby every year. The photos were always overwhelmingly snapshots.

Photos are often used simply for recognition purposes or to recall technical lines. It's important that the dancer can be easily identified as the same person who auditioned. I never used professional photos until I auditioned for companies. The bottom line is that a dancer won't be rejected from a program for providing amateur photographs, nor will the quality of photographs affect the audition outcome. Just have clean, clear photographs in the size and position asked for.

glissade_jete, that is music to my ears! Thank you. :)

We had a friend who had a really nice camera take pictures for my DD college applications, but used a professional photographer for company auditions.

Some applications have you electronically upload pictures and have size limit, so I don't think they need to be professional, just clear.  We had a friend with a good camera take my daughter's.

Suzie1 and ddegaray, thank you both! I am definitely feeling more at ease now about these photos.