Ballet Talk for Dancers
Isabeara

Ballet Classics Worthy of Investment

Hamorah   
Hamorah

No-one has mentioned the Royal Ballet's Manon - I love it.......

Agnes1022   
Agnes1022
"The Children of Theatre Street" is one of my favorites!

I just finished watching it last night, and I like the factual manner in which the program was put together. Princess Grace (Monaco)'s narration throughout the feature really brings the ballet students' lives into one's living room, and gives one a substantial peek into the 'day in the life' of these young ballet dancers who not only studied ballet classes full time, but also had exposure to the academics...although I suspect that the teachers probably didn't delve far below the surface, but rather gave a smattering of generalized information.

I did however find some of the scenes completely staged, like the "pillow fight" and the "spontaneous" grand jetes on the beach and at the park, to mention a couple that really stood out.

Overall, I find that this documentary made great effort to stay true to form of capturing a young ballerina's experience sans the movie-like trappings that some docu's fall prey to.

stagemere   
stagemere

I'm not sure where to post this, but I'm looking for a name for a particular variation. I found it on YouTube - nameless, of course. Does anyone have a name for this variation linked below? It's the first variation in this video. Also, when does it occur in Don Q? Are there any better videos of it out there? My dd wants to see it performed for her own benefit, and I can't help her without a name??? Also, what version of Don Q do you recommend we purchase?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNLUrN4sWE4

Mel Johnson   
Mel Johnson

It's a Nureyevized version of a variation that sometimes shows up in the so-called Paquita grand pas. It could be from Don Quixote originally, but I kinda doubt it. Nureyev tossed it into the pas de deux from Don Q after the adage and before his variation, so he could get a breather.

pj   
pj

This is Act III in Don Q. That, I know for sure. As far as what the first girl's variation is called, I can't really say because I haven't seen this exact choreography before (I could guess -- maybe something along the lines of "Flower girl variation"???). The variation that Kitri does is the wedding variation, so maybe the storyline is that the flower girl dances first, and then the wedding couple (this is just my assumption -- not gospel truth by any stretch of the imagination).

Mel Johnson   
Mel Johnson

Actually, Kitri's Act III variation is called "The Fan" and historical evidence is showing up more and more to suggest that the music for that one is by Drigo, not Minkus. But as long as they were "musique dansant", they could be ripped from one ballet and dropped right into another. This variation could well be Pugni's music and from some version of The Little Hump-Backed Horse! Those Imperial ballet scores must have been like loose-leaf binders!

pj   
pj

:shrug: OK, so I have seen that choreography before (dd would kill me rignt now if she saw that I wrote I had never seen the choreography before). DD has done this variation, but with Italian fouettes and it was in the program as a varation from Little Humpbacked Horse.

(at least I knew it was Act III)...running away now!

Mel Johnson   
Mel Johnson

I have this mental image of the Maryinsky lobby, and the hawkers aren't selling souvenir programs, they're touting..."Score cards, score cards; can't tell one variation from another without a score card!" They switched around that much! :shrug:

DancinFeet   
DancinFeet

So if I was on youtube looking for other versions of the variation that stagemere was talking about, what should I put in the search terms?

stagemere   
stagemere
It's a Nureyevized version of a variation that sometimes shows up in the so-called Paquita grand pas. It could be from Don Quixote originally, but I kinda doubt it. Nureyev tossed it into the pas de deux from Don Q after the adage and before his variation, so he could get a breather.

Thanks Mel,

Does that mean it's not really a valid variation of Don Q? Is it normally part of Don Q? I think it's in the Kirov Don Q - but is it left out of ABT's? I don't have their version.

THX,

Stagemere

greb   
greb
"The Children of Theatre Street" is one of my favorites!

There's a great list of ballet movies and documentaries on www.balletconnections.com

Mel Johnson   
Mel Johnson

Greb, do you have a vested interest in Ballet Connections? I have to remind you that both Ballet Talk and Ballet Talk for Dancers have a policy against receiving advertising. Three highly symmetrical posts to this forum suggest advertising, and, I dare say, spam. I also find it disturbing to find that the Contact Us page on that site seems especially designed to capture e-mail addresses. I have to caution our members on this subject.