Ballet Talk for Dancers
olddude

Anime: Princess Tutu

primasylph   
primasylph

[

I've only been able to find eps 1-12 and then the last episode. Guess the others have been taken down due to a TOU volation....

sciencegeek   
sciencegeek

Can you find these only in Japanese, Japanese with Eng subtitles, or translated to English. Some times the English translations are very different from the Japanese. I guess I could order them from Japan. ONe daughter speaks Japanese but the other does not.

Edited by sciencegeek

ripresa   
ripresa

Aaah..

I was browsing flickr and so a bunch of cosplay people in tutus and pointe shoes.

And I was like: What the heck??? What character is that?

But I guess they must've been Princess Tutu.

Tamara Watts   
Tamara Watts

i am so excited about the princess tutu! i watched the first episode and i'm hooked! i hope my library has the set of dvds........

Mel Johnson   
Mel Johnson

I should correct something I said earlier on this thread, that the anime is drawn in "chibi" style. "Chibi" are those little bug-like sketches that go on behind the main action, most usually, but Princess Tutu is drawn in "S.D." genre - Super Deformed - with the heads being large in comparison to body length, although not so much as in some anime, where the head can be as much as a third of the whole figure.

EllenDana   
EllenDana

My dd is a HUGE anime fan and adores Princess TuTu. Last year, I found the complete DVD set on eBay for her for Christmas for only $25. Apparently the set is very popular with the dancers at the conservatory at SUNY purchase, too. I'm going to pass this thread along to her, because although I know she likes Princess TuTu, I know nothing about the finer points of anime that you all are discussing. :shrug: (I do like the music arrangements, however.) She'll know just what you are talking about.

maddiefish   
maddiefish

This does seem quite cool, I especially like the way the plot relates to many different ballets at once. You might want to check out the manga, SWAN, too -- it is drawn and written in a similar style.

debby   
debby

Netflix has 6 discs available. Looking forward to them!

Debby

DancingDoodles   
DancingDoodles

I heard about Princess Tutu on this forum, so I decided to check it out...I was hooked after the first episode! I think I watched all of the episodes within a week :P

Flora   
Flora

I love anime. I'm watched a few episodes pn youtube. Love it.

EricaHart   
EricaHart

I've only seen a few episodes of Princess Tutu but loved what I have seen. I really should go back and finish the whole series.

Lispenard   
Lispenard

One of my friends discovered this series, and had me look in bookstores for the manga version of Princess Tutu, but to no avail.

However, I found a site that has all 38 episodes for free.Iths english subtitles, but they are all color coded for each character, and has little notifications for name changes and japanese references that westerners might not understand.They even have the opening and closing songs in english, japanese, and japanese pinyin (or whatever you call the pronunciation system). Im absolutely in love with this series, and I actually find it interesting to hear them speak as they were meant to.

Heres the site, no subscription needed: Watch/Download Princess Tutu

smalltowngirl   
smalltowngirl

Yay! I am so happy to hear that other dancers have enjoyed Princess Tutu as much as I did! I finished the series and actually did a cosplay of Princess Tutu myself. (Cosplay meaning to dress up as Princess Tutu)

Here's a pic of me as Princess Tutu:

Edited by dancemaven
Removed personal links per BT4D policy

pasdechat   
pasdechat

The episodes are available on Hulu as well (English dub):

http://www.hulu.com/princess-tutu

Dancing_EMT   
Dancing_EMT

I absolutely love Princess Tutu! I've thought about dressing up as her next convention we go to!