Ballet Talk for Dancers
nikki94

Ballet Academy East

NYCMOM   
NYCMOM

Drdebr61 - I do not have a boy, but my DD went all the way through the PP program at BAE and I can attest to the wonderful training there for boys and girls alike. They have sent boys (and girls!) on to professional companies both in the U.S. and abroad. You can check out the alumni listing on the BAE website for some of that information. If you do not find anyone on this site, I bet the folks at BAE would be willing to put you in touch with a parent or two of some of their male graduates.

Drdebr61   
Drdebr61

Thank you NYCMOM. MY DD just finished at SI at SAB and was disappointed not to be invited to stay. He and my husbnad took a quick trip to BAE on a Sat to check it out. MY DD felt the studios were small and had poles in them. What do you tihnk of the physical space??

Thanks

NYCMOM   
NYCMOM

The physical space is not ideal for the reasons you mention. However, from what I can observe it has not been a significant obstacle to the dancers' training, and the upper level dancers almost always have class and rehearse in the back studio which seems to have more space than the others. To me, the slight negative aspect of the studio size is outweighed by what is happening in those studios in terms of solid training by a top-notch and caring faculty, and wonderful performance opportunties. But again, I would urge you to ask the BAE staff to put you in touch with some other boy dancer alums (and/or their parents) who can speak directly to the questions you raise as they apply to boys at your son's stage of development. Good luck with your decision making process!

learningdance   
learningdance

I am only a casual observer here. . .But Darla Hoover was Marcia Dale Weary's protege. CPYB (Marcia's school) is probably one of the premier places in the country. They have trained a ton of Balanchine dancers. Plus BAE has Olga Dvorovenko, Irina Dvorovenko and Max,. They just added Wheelen (Sp?).

Edited by Momof3darlings
reference to minor's training

stefanie   
stefanie

Last year Irina only filled in to my knowledge. She is not permanent staff.

NYCMOM   
NYCMOM

I see Momof3darlings' edit to the prior post mentioning specific minors and so will not be specific, but I will add that other current and former principal dancers of ABT also have children (both boys and girls) who are either currently training or recently completed their training at BAE. It is quite a vote of confidence.

Momof3darlings   
Momof3darlings

Thank you NYCMom. Yes, we do have a do not discuss policy about minors here.

Drdebr61   
Drdebr61

Thank you all. Will try to get names of alums (DS's)

Guest Kennenen   
Guest Kennenen

Edited by Kennenen

purpleballerina   
purpleballerina

Do you know when you receieve the results from the audition?

MelissaGA   
MelissaGA

Is this for tomorrow's audition? Maybe they will say at the audition.

emilorad   
emilorad

Any recent reviews of the pre-professional program? Would love to get some feedback.

NYCMOM   
NYCMOM

My DD trained at BAE from age 5, graduated 2 years ago, went on to a large company trainee program, and is now with a mid-sized company. BAE offers top notch training in an environment that is generally warm and supportive. The teaching is first rate, the classes are a manageable size, and the students tend to be very close as a group and develop long-lasting friendships. The parent community as a whole is very friendly, with an active fund-raising committee that organizes events during the year. The students perform quite a bit, with a smaller show at the Alvin Ailey Theatre in February and a year-end performance at a larger theatre in May. For each show there are 4 performances, allowing for double casting in most pieces, especially for the upper levels. The upper level students have amazing opportunities to work with well-known outside choreographers and perform a mix of classical, Balanchine, and contemporary repertoire. Check the website for photos and video excerpts of the performances over the years, as well as the list of alumni dancing professionally in companies both in the US and in Europe. All in all it's a very special place.

DanceMumNYC   
DanceMumNYC

How many performance opportunities do younger students (say, level 2) get in a year at BAE? My DD left her dance school of 4 years to attend a top ballet school (after a dance school teacher suggested she pursue ballet). She has been in the ballet school for 2 years, which she likes, but she misses performing. She had about 3 ballet shows (6 performances) in one year at her old school, in addition to tap and modern performances. Now she only has the year-end show at ballet school--and each dance is VERY short in length (maybe 2-3 minutes of stage time). I am considering BAE as an alternative (not just for the sake of performing; their schedule has more variety and is more flexible).

DanceMumNYC   
DanceMumNYC

Hi again, can someone also provide insight on how academics are fulfilled at BAE? Are most students homeschooled or do they attend performing arts schools? Do they automatically get into performing arts schools due to their BAE affiliation, or must they audition?