Ballet Talk for Dancers
Canna10

Men's fitted shirts

tropicfive

I don't know what shirts you are speaking of, but a call to your SI director should solve that question.

As a thought for new tees: After Target stopped making their stretch shirts and Macy's stopped selling the Alfani stretch, my son has become a fan of the Calvin Klein Micro Modal stretch tee with a V-neck. A bit expensive (okay, A LOT expensive) but I have found that you can buy them at the outlets, or online for 40% off. The are snug but very soft and very stretchy, and do not have tags or logos.

Clara 76

Dawcett, usually SIs prefer plain, all white t-shirts, but tropicfive is correct- a quick call will likely confirm!

expat123

I need to also ask our SI about this. DS perfers Under Armor or Nike, which have logos. I usually find them at sports shops. I have bought him M Stevens shirts, but he refuses to wear them because the neck is wider and the sleeves are shorter than the Under Armor/Nike. He also really dislikes wearing a regular a t-shirt for ballet. He likes the tight stretchy shirts. As you can tell, he is picky about new types of clothing, especially in ballet. Our SI handbook says "white short-sleeve leotard or tee shirt," but he has never worn leos. I wonder if you can tell the difference between a fitted sports shirt and a leo? I don't see the seam of the shirt showing under his tights......

Clara 76

A small Nike "swash" or a tiny tag may not be an issue, but a t-shirt that advertises "Debby's School of Dance and Baton", maybe not so much.

momofboy2011

We're trying new ones made by "Underworks" - no logo whatsoever. Cotton spandex "compression" t-shirts. I found them on Amazon at 3 for $49:

http://www.amazon.com/Underworks-Cotton-Spandex-Compression-T-shirt/dp/B004JYGB3S/ref=pd_sim_a_8

We ordered small and they do fit snugly. My son hasn't tried it for a dance class yet - his school requires leotards so these are for summer.

Dawcett

Thanks the under works ones look great

CalvinsGD

Also keep an eye out for Tek Gear fitted/compression shirts at Kohls. The white ones are my DS's favorite, but they seem to cycle in and out of availability. I always snap up any that I find. They also come in several colors, which are nice for rehearsals, if your school permits that. I've found them for as little as 9.99.

ByTheLake

Does any one know if the shirts are OK for dance intensives? They are fine at our dance studios, but they do have a logo and I don't know how strict SI's re?

Depends on the SI--each one has its own rules. Check their website, and also search the SI's archives to see if anyone has posted to say if they are strict or not.

to OP: If you have Academy nearby, they carry a brand called "bcg" that is MUCH cheaper than Nike or Under Armor that ds likes. They have boy & men size compression (or "fitted" so hugs enough for dance without being restrictive of movement at all, more like a ladies' fitted/clingy t-shirt would fit us) shirts of materials similar to what nike & UA make theirs. Boys shirts were 7.99 adults 11.99 when I priced them a couple weeks ago. Bonus: they come in variety of solid colors, and I was able to find boys and mens with NO outside decoration, alternate textures or logos. Very nice esp. if dress code is strict, or if you just need a plain top for, say, a contemporary piece (as we did). They are probably available online. I will say that ds usually wears a Men's small now (or XL/XXL boys) and he liked the fitted Men's Medium best since it provided enough length that it didn't slide up over tights or pants waistband, but Boy's XL compression for a white undershirt to wear under costumes or to protect from rubbing tights elastic (as alt. to men's leotard since he only has two, and sometimes that's just more fabric he doesn't want riding up, kwim??).

theyalldance

I am reviving an old topic...

My son has been wearing BCG compression shirts. He needs to go up a size to 14/16, but Academy is clearancing the boys shirts. The mens small is very loose on him. He doesn't care for the sleeves on the Body Wrappers shirts as they are a little short.

Does anybody have any updated suggestions? No logos please!

slhogan

I find it hard to believe that Academy would get rid of their BCG boys compression shirts. They have had such a good selection of them for years! Perhaps they are updating the style or something rather than getting rid of them altogether?

My son also wears the boys XL. I guess I will just go buy several of them (from multiple Academys if necessary) to get him through until he fits into the men's small.

He prefers the under armour and nike shirts because they are thicker-- the BCG are pretty thin. But, the price is right on the BCG, so he does wear them a lot.

theyalldance

I was surprised too. I have been to the Academys in my area-there are 3 within driving distance-but there were no white shirts left. The colored shirts were on the clearance rack. There aren't any white online either. Hopefully it is temporary.

Momof3darlings

Alo makes short sleeve and long sleeve compression shirts that are very nice. They only come in adult sizes. You can order them from Jiffyshirts.com. While they are a wholesaler, the credentials for ordering are very loose. I would venture they run a little small for non dancers. DH generally wears a L t-shirt and a L in these was too tight for him. An XL was fine. So, I guess what I'm saying is they are muscle hugging. So if you want them to hug muscles order your same size. If you want a little bit of room from the compression squeeze, order a size up from normal.

Alo Compression

Dance_Mami

I just ordered some, thanks for the info! I'll let you know what he thinks of them when they come in. I did order his true size so we'll see.

jamied

I have been having a hard time finding shirts for my son. I was able to only get one M Stevens that my son loves. No one else online had any. I found the number for M Stevens and called them. They are now making shirts for my son and rushing them to me so that he will have them for his SI. This was easy and will now be how I get his shirts.

finallykf

Just an FYI that the Target in our area has always still carried the cheaper Champion brand snug fitting nylon (or whatever that non-cotton material is). The last time they had just put all their colors out I literally stocked up. I got white, black, and red in several sizes (this was back when DS was still wearing medium) medium thru XL, mainly white. But I did see them there just the other day. They weren't on the sale rack so I assume they haven't been discontinued - they looked like they were merchandised as normal items. DS can still wear the large so I haven't had to venture into the men's section yet to check for shirts there.

I haven't been happy with the dance shirts I have ordered on-line, even with my son's favorite leo brands. The shirts all seem to be really short and way too tight even if I order up several sizes. And my son does not have a long torso. They just seem so small that you can't even realistically wear them to get them stretched out. The shirts arrive in the mail and they always look like they could fit one of the 5 year olds in Creative Movement.