Ballet Talk for Dancers
Lina

Joffrey Ballet's Academy of Dance

Inspired

Has anyone ever been put on a wait-list for the studio company after auditioning for the Training program? My DD just received notification that she was accepted into Trainee program but on wait-list for Studio...??

nymom

i have no information for you, but Congratulations! That's wonderful news!

Bessyb

Has anyone ever been put on a wait-list for the studio company after auditioning for the Training program? My DD just received notification that she was accepted into Trainee program but on wait-list for Studio...??

Hello, I'm wondering if you ended up finding any information on the trainee program? My dd was offered the same thing.

Temps de cuisse

One of my students was accepted as Trainee and wait-listed for the Studio company. She went to Chicago for a 2 day visit and ended up first with a 1/2 scholarship and then a 3/4 scholarship with the stipulation that it could be a full but they were going to be looking at some dancers at YAGP before making the decision. From what I could glean, the Studio Company are all on scholarship and have more opportunities to work with the main company; but still are consider part of the school.

kr12

This was posted on the SI thread but not here yet. Anna and Alexei are no longer the artistic directors of the academy and have since left. They were the primary teachers in the trainee program and upper levels of pre-pro.

http://www.joffrey.org/AWletter

napnap

Hopefully, this is a sign that Joffrey will accept more of its Trainee/Studio dancers into the Company. Since its inception in 2008 (8 years ago), I count 7 students were offered contracts with the Joffrey Ballet. I could be off by a couple, but still, that small number is not indicative of a school that is producing Company-ready dancers. So hopefully, they will better align their curriculum in the school with what the company is seeking in dancers.

kr12

Agree with you, napnap. Last year there were 10 new dancers and only 2 of them were from the trainee/studio company. One of those was announced as one of the 5 dancers leaving the company at the end of the season. The year before I think there was only one from the trainee program. With Ashley overseeing the academy's artistic direction, there should be a lot more "training and retaining" of their trainee/studio company.

HomeschoolDanceDad
On 8/11/2008 at 9:29 PM, Guest karenwc said:

I'm confused. :D I thought that's what the Joffrey NYC school was for. They do say that Joffrey Ballet comes and does auditions at Joffrey NYC. Can anyone clarify the relationships between the two schools and the company? Thanks very much!

Hi Karen:  

When we were researching summer intensives for my son, we were confused about it as well.  Joffrey Academy of Dance and the Joffrey Ballet School are two totally different schools.  There is only one school associated with the Joffrey Ballet, and that is the Joffrey Academy of Dance (in Chicago).  The Joffrey Ballet School (in NY and other cities) is in no way associated with the Joffrey Ballet company.  Check out this FAQ on the Joffrey Academy website: http://www.joffrey.org/academy/faq#faq4442

The FAQ says: "

What is the difference between Joffrey Academy of Dance in Chicago and Joffrey School in New York?

Joffrey Academy of Dance, Official School of The Joffrey Ballet, is the only training program owned, operated or endorsed by The Joffrey Ballet. The Joffrey Ballet is not affiliated with any other dance training or school program, including the Joffrey Ballet School in New York. The Joffrey Academy, located in the Exelon Education Center at Joffrey Tower in Chicago, Illinois is the only school that follows the organizational mission, training syllabi, and artistic vision of The Joffrey Ballet. No other program, including those holding the Joffrey name, is sanctioned by The Joffrey Ballet. For more information, please contact Academy Reception at 312.784.4600."

My son went to the Academy's SI (in Chicago) in 2016 and he loved it. The instruction is top notch, and when he came back home, his teachers noticed marked improvement in his technique.  My son's favorite teacher at the Academy was a Russian named Ms. Medina because she gave him many helpful corrections.

I hope this clears things up!

E