Ballet Talk for Dancers

Lady Elle   
Lady Elle

Dancergirlmelody - so what is your next endeavor? And what are the other graduates doing?

Dancergirlmelody   
Dancergirlmelody

Lady Elle -- I am actually joining a ministry team in Berlin, Germany. They have an arts focus to their team, though I will be their first dancer. I'm hoping I'm going to be able to teach and choreograph as well as have some performance opportunities.

Most people in my class are continuing on with dance in some way, though some still do not have plans for their next phase. A few are getting teaching jobs, one is working with the Epicenter For The Arts and Ingredients Dance Company and helping to revamp their ballet program. One is going on to get her MFA in Dance from Sam Houston State. I can't recall any specific company names at the moment, but a number of people have accepted company contracts. A few people are seeking project based work in big cities.

This is pretty typical for my school, a few go on to companies though that is rarely the majority. It seems like by the time a lot of people have graduated from college, a company contract is no longer a primary goal. When it is, people tend to aim for smaller companies--often project or faith based. Recent grads have gone on to careers with Ekklesia Contemporary Ballet, Marigny Opera Ballet, a season with Paul Taylor II, Texas Ballet Theater, Ad Deum Dance, and a number of others. Going on to grad school and choreographic endeavors are also common. Belhaven emphasizes choreography, so many people who came in wanting to perform also find a love in choreography.

Momof3darlings   
Momof3darlings

Thank you for being willing to share! Good luck with your new endeavors.

Lady Elle   
Lady Elle

Nice! I love knowing that Belhaven emphasizes choreography as that is also a passion of my daughters.

Princessroja   
Princessroja

Like Dancergirlmelody, I too graduated from Belhaven a few years back and then did some graduate coursework there as well. If anyone has any questions regarding grad or undergrad I'm happy to answer. It's really an excellent program and I can't recommend it highly enough for either a ballet or modern focus (choreography is emphasized too but it's not an official concentration).

Edited by Princessroja

StephenJ   
StephenJ

To some of you who have graduated (or anyone else who knows) can you share your thoughts regarding double major? My daughter wants to continue dancing and major in it so that she can teach and give private lessons and help to inspire young girls towards pointe and classical (her love). I know Belhaven is more modern but that's okay, it's one of the only schools in the southeast to even offer a BA in dance that has pointe of any kind in the program.

Here is the issue, she wants to continue on to medschool. This means she needs a major that is science based and going to prepare her for the MCAT. Belhaven has a biology department with a premed track. She wants to use teaching dance and private lessons to help pay for med school.

Does anyone know if it's really possible to double major in these two fields?

Thanks so much!

Dancergirlmelody   
Dancergirlmelody
1 hour ago, StephenJ said:

To some of you who have graduated (or anyone else who knows) can you share your thoughts regarding double major? My daughter wants to continue dancing and major in it so that she can teach and give private lessons and help to inspire young girls towards pointe and classical (her love). I know Belhaven is more modern but that's okay, it's one of the only schools in the southeast to even offer a BA in dance that has pointe of any kind in the program.

Here is the issue, she wants to continue on to medschool. This means she needs a major that is science based and going to prepare her for the MCAT. Belhaven has a biology department with a premed track. She wants to use teaching dance and private lessons to help pay for med school.

Does anyone know if it's really possible to double major in these two fields?

Thanks so much!

I graduated in 2016 and under the curriculum at the time, double majoring was very difficult and sometimes not possible without a fifth year. However, they have been working the past two years to make double majoring more accessible. I can't say for sure, but if your daughter is truly passionate about both and willing to work hard, it might be possible. I would strongly advise transferring in some basic pre-req credits (English, math, etc.) to make it easier and consider as a family whether a extra semester or year would be financially possible if that becomes necessary.

I would reach out to the faculty of both departments to ask any specific questions you may have. I really can't speak highly enough of the wonderfully faculty at Belhaven and know the professors and everyone in the admissions office will be happy to help however they can. 

If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know or send me a PM!

StephenJ   
StephenJ
35 minutes ago, Dancergirlmelody said:

I graduated in 2016 and under the curriculum at the time, double majoring was very difficult and sometimes not possible without a fifth year. However, they have been working the past two years to make double majoring more accessible. I can't say for sure, but if your daughter is truly passionate about both and willing to work hard, it might be possible. I would strongly advise transferring in some basic pre-req credits (English, math, etc.) to make it easier and consider as a family whether a extra semester or year would be financially possible if that becomes necessary.

I would reach out to the faculty of both departments to ask any specific questions you may have. I really can't speak highly enough of the wonderfully faculty at Belhaven and know the professors and everyone in the admissions office will be happy to help however they can. 

If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know or send me a PM!

Dancergirlmelody, thanks so much for that info! I would be great if they work on setting things up for double majors where there is good flexibility to make it all work out. She will have quite a few AP classes that should help if they accept AP classes.

Do you know much about scholarship opportunities Belhaven has? She has real good acedemics that Are good enough to get scholarship opportunities at some schools but I'm not sure about how Belhaven is regarding scholarship money. Being a small school they may not have much scholarship money to give. For instance does anyone ever get a scholarship based on dance?

Edited by StephenJ

Dancergirlmelody   
Dancergirlmelody
2 hours ago, StephenJ said:

Dancergirlmelody, thanks so much for that info! I would be great if they work on setting things up for double majors where there is good flexibility to make it all work out. She will have quite a few AP classes that should help if they accept AP classes.

Do you know much about scholarship opportunities Belhaven has? She has real good acedemics that Are good enough to get scholarship opportunities at some schools but I'm not sure about how Belhaven is regarding scholarship money. Being a small school they may not have much scholarship money to give. For instance does anyone ever get a scholarship based on dance?

I know there are scholarships available, but I don't know much about them. I got both a small academic scholarship and a dance scholarship, but I don't think there are any full-rides or anything major. The admissions counselors will be able to help you though!

lovethefinearts   
lovethefinearts

My daughter is a senior dance major and was awarded the highest academic scholarship available at the time when she entered as a freshman and it has been renewed each year.  It has made it possible for her to attend Belhaven. It was more than she was offered at other schools and we felt as if it was very generous.   We were told at the time she started school that they only give academic awards and they are then converted into dance scholarships. This presidential award is not based on need or dancing - just academics.

She has loved her three years at Belhaven and is excited to be returning for her final year.  If you would like info from a parent's view point, I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

StephenJ   
StephenJ
2 hours ago, lovethefinearts said:

My daughter is a senior dance major and was awarded the highest academic scholarship available at the time when she entered as a freshman and it has been renewed each year.  It has made it possible for her to attend Belhaven. It was more than she was offered at other schools and we felt as if it was very generous.   We were told at the time she started school that they only give academic awards and they are then converted into dance scholarships. This presidential award is not based on need or dancing - just academics.

She has loved her three years at Belhaven and is excited to be returning for her final year.  If you would like info from a parent's view point, I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

That is great to hear! Congratulations on such a excellent scholarship. Do you mind me asking what level of academics it took for her to get that level of scholarship? My daughter is in 11th grade and starting to practice and study the act so we can get her score high. We are looking for schools to start visiting this year and scholarship possibilities is high on the list.

I'm glad to hear she loves going to school there. Did you feel like the students she was surrounded by were great young adults that were focused and motivated and worked hard. We are also looking at Southern and Alabama since they both also have a dance program but they are also both party schools which I'm not too thrilled with. I'd like to say she would just stay focused and not get caught up in partying, but it would be even better to not be saturated in that kind of environment. I've known a lot of people loose full ride scholarships due to getting caught up with new friends who weren't that focused.

I hope my daughter can keep her grades up and get some amazing test scores that will secure her a really good scholarship.

Did your daughter double major in anything else, or just stick with dance?

Edited by StephenJ

lovethefinearts   
lovethefinearts
4 hours ago, StephenJ said:

That is great to hear! Congratulations on such a excellent scholarship. Do you mind me asking what level of academics it took for her to get that level of scholarship? My daughter is in 11th grade and starting to practice and study the act so we can get her score high. We are looking for schools to start visiting this year and scholarship possibilities is high on the list.

I'm glad to hear she loves going to school there. Did you feel like the students she was surrounded by were great young adults that were focused and motivated and worked hard. We are also looking at Southern and Alabama since they both also have a dance program but they are also both party schools which I'm not too thrilled with. I'd like to say she would just stay focused and not get caught up in partying, but it would be even better to not be saturated in that kind of environment. I've known a lot of people loose full ride scholarships due to getting caught up with new friends who weren't that focused.

I hope my daughter can keep her grades up and get some amazing test scores that will secure her a really good scholarship.

Did your daughter double major in anything else, or just stick with dance?

I would prefer to give out academic info and scholarship amounts in a private message rather than a public forum but I am not sure how to do that? 

No, my daughter has not had a double major but is going to complete course work for a minor in English. She is also a musician and has been very involved with music classes and performances.  She had 32 hours of AP credit accepted when she came in. If it hadn't been for that she wouldn't have been able to pursue her other interests.  She is a BFA major which requires more dance classes than a BA.  I think it would be easier to double major with a BA and she has known friends that have gone that route. She also has friends that have switched to a dance minor to have more time for a different major. 

StephenJ   
StephenJ
14 hours ago, lovethefinearts said:

I would prefer to give out academic info and scholarship amounts in a private message rather than a public forum but I am not sure how to do that? 

No, my daughter has not had a double major but is going to complete course work for a minor in English. She is also a musician and has been very involved with music classes and performances.  She had 32 hours of AP credit accepted when she came in. If it hadn't been for that she wouldn't have been able to pursue her other interests.  She is a BFA major which requires more dance classes than a BA.  I think it would be easier to double major with a BA and she has known friends that have gone that route. She also has friends that have switched to a dance minor to have more time for a different major. 

Thanks for the great information. I tried to figure out how to PM you but it doesn't seem like I can. That's okay though, I do appreciate you sharing the info that you were able too. It helps a lot

thanks!