Ballet Talk for Dancers
kattnosipp

Back flexibility

dancemaven   
dancemaven

In the long term, it makes the back weak in that area and VERY susceptible to pain without much ability to relieve it. It does not promote strengthening of the small back muscles that help support that region. The sooner one learns to cambre back in the appropriate, supported, and properly strengthened position, the best it will be for long-term back health.

I speak from experiences----both my sister and I used to touch our feet to our heads with absolutely no difficulty as children. We both have quite tedious pain in that specific low back region now, despite consistent and proper Pilates strengthening as adults. My daughters both have greatest flexibility in that back area with less flexibility at mid-back, just like me. They, too, periodically have back issues----even though both have strong cores. They now know to strive to bend at the correct curves in their back----and it is not that low spot. That's just not healthy.

ascballerina   
ascballerina

Thanks, Dancemaven! Can sinking into your back/swayback be dangerous, too, since you bend from there?

dancemaven   
dancemaven

I would surmise 'yes' as it is the extra flexibility in that area that permits the back to 'hang' from the hip flexors thus creating that swayed position. Or, if the pelvis is rocked back creating the swayed position, it pinches that low back area, so the muscles are shortened and not strengthened. Either way, it is not a recipe for a healthy back as it ages.

ascballerina   
ascballerina

Thanks again, dancemaven. I think I'm out of questions for now...probably just in time since I seem to have taken over this thread. :blush:

theballetspot   
theballetspot

I'm having the same sort of issues... I am trying to improve my back flexibility seriously since last year. If I do a seal, I get to about 90degrees, but all the bending is done by the most extreme lower back, whilst my upper back is almost perfectly straight. My ultimate goal is to do a needle, however, I can't see this happening in the near future. I don't think I have any back problems, but I do have a fairly sway back, but most of the time I can straighten my back. Is anyone able to help me here with some advice or stretches?? Thanks and good luck to everyone :)

i have the same problem! My teacher told me to lay on my back and try to get my whole back on the ground, then hold 30 seconds to a minute so you can feel it :)

Clara 76   
Clara 76

Um.....what? I am having a hard time picturing that, theballetspot because I'm concerned that might lead to tucking the pelvis. Actually, abdominal strength is the best thing to help support the spine, as well as having a clear understanding of proper alignment and which muscles to engage in order to keep that alignment while dancing!