catdancer

STEPS on Broadway

19 posts in this topic

Does anyone have experience with the year round school at STEPS in NY, especially in the advanced level? More specifically, does it qualify as being considered a pre-professional program? I did not see it listed in that forum. Does anyone know if the graduates go on to company offers or ballet college admissions? Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you for the concern britdance. We do appreciate that when relating information about schools and SIs that it is your personal first hand experience that is shared and not that which is uncertain because of meeting one dancer. So in this case, I will make your post invisible because it's clear that you really did know it wasn't first hand experience.

Apologies - I think I understand better what is meant by first hand experience now.

One of my friends is at the School at STEPS, I will see if she will be willing to make an account on here to answer your questions. It is her first year there.

I went there for three years—I was a theater dance focus, but I still had good, solid ballet training. They require everyone to take at least three (two? I can't remember) ballet technique classes a week, no matter what their focus is. I don't know all that much about the ballet focus, but I know that a lot of girls get into really prestigious summer programs—ABT, Kaatsbaan, Miami City Ballet, etc. I don't know long-ranging statistics on colleges and companies, but I definitely remember one girl who went to the dance program at Michigan and there's a girl who just moved to Florida to go to the Miami City Ballet program full-time.

One of the best parts about SAS is that a lot of the faculty also teach open classes at Steps (and other studios) so you forge relationships with great teachers you can take class with for years to come. You also get very comfortable in the atmosphere at Steps, which I can imagine is kind of overwhelming for newcomers. I go to Columbia now and I'm dancing in the program at Barnard, but I go to Steps every weekend and often take class with my old teachers (and new ones!).

I know that you're probably most interested in ballet, but it's worth saying that the jazz and theater dance are GREAT. Even the really hardcore ballet girls there take a theater rep class at some point, and they're a lot of fun.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I was becoming concerned that the minimal number or responses could be an indication of the lack of popularity of the program. Not that popularity necessarily means quality per se...

Lizpower, your point about being able to continue with some of the instructors post graduation is one of the reasons I am considering SAS for my dd. Even though she has dreams of being a company member, if she should decide to pursue her other love of graphic design, there are many great art colleges in NY and having the option to pop over to Steps for a class or two with teachers she is familiar with would be a nice option.

My dd has taken open classes there and the atmosphere is something she really enjoys. You can't beat the energy and the eclectic group of people that move through that place!

Does anyone have information about where the students from the year round advanced ballet classes have gone after graduation?

I attended the SAS ballet focus summer intensive in 2009. They are divided into 2 three week programs. You can take either or both. If you are in the advanced level there is variations, pas de deux, as well as contemporary choreography. It is a good program with many talented teachers and dancers. Attending only one program I do feel like I became much stronger but next time would defiantly consider a longer program. The year round program is pre-preofessional and is intense. Durring the summer the teachers evaluate you and can consider you for the upcoming school year. I meet lots of great teachers and friends.

Regarding the School at Steps. My dd is enrolled there for the first time and absolutely loves it. She is in the Intermediate level for Ballet and takes four technique classes a week as well as three pointe classes. She speaks highly of her teachers and feels that she has improved immensely under their instruction. Classes are fairly small in size which allows for more attention from the instructor. :thumbsup: Also, the staff has been very supportive. We sent our daughter off to NY to live with her aunt so she could have the opportunity to take at Steps and we don't regret the decision at all.

Just wanted to post an update to my previous post from october. My dd made the decision to switch to the School at Steps, she started in January. I have only good things to say about this program. As Jackie said in a previous post, the class sizes are small and individual instruction is incredible. My dd is in the Advanced II level and has Leslie Browne and her brother Ethan Brown as instructors. During partnering class, they are both there to assist the boys and the girls. The boys are from the open classes, but they tend to be the same boys each week.

The atmosphere of the studio is warm and welcoming and the other girls in the class are quite friendly and accepted my dd into the class 100%. In just 6 short weeks my dd has improved in both technique and confidence. Having had both year round training and summer intensive experience at well-known programs, I can honestly say that the School at Steps is right up there with the best of them.

catdancer is your dd still there , I plan on going to the performance this month. One of my dd former teacher has invited me to go. She is currently teaching at steps. You might know her Zelma Bustillo, here is your bio.

http://www.zelmabustillo.info/ZelmaBustill...ailability.html

http://stepsnyc.com/the-school-at-steps/fa...Zelma-Bustillo/

Does anyone have recent news on the Steps program?

It might be helpful to share the names and backgrounds of the teachers in the program.

Are those not available on the Steps website?

Wondering if anyone has any recent information on the Steps Pre-professional year round program. My daughter is 16 and we are considering this program for next fall.

Thank you in advance for any insight you have!

How is the schedule at SAS like? Is it a full day program or classes in the evenings?

Thank you! :)