Fraildove

Gelsey Kirkland Academy of Classical Ballet

128 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I have not seen this mentioned, maybe I missed it. It seems that Gelsey Kirkland and her husband have opened Gelsey Kirkland Academy of Classical Ballet across the plaza from Lincoln Center. They will be having an intensive from August to Sept and will provide housing. There are plans for a studio company as well. The website is www.gelseykirklandballet.org. Please move or deleate if already a topic exists.

That's so exciting! Thank you for posting the link! :yucky:

-Dana

I encourage people to read through the website--not only is there a gorgeous film montage of Kirkland's dancing, but the mission of the school and its faculty (which includes David Howard and Irina Kolpakova) look excellent.

I just read the ad for this today in Dance magazine.

Are you sure that is the right website, I couldn't find it.

I would curious to learn where they got their startup funding. Lots of plans, already a nation-wide audition tour in May, studio company, high-quality faculty, and school admin staff to boot (artistic admin, outreach coordinator, etc.) Wish her & her husband the best of luck!

My daughter was pretty excited to hear about this and would love to audition. I agree it is quite a program already, even in its infancy. I am sure that Ms. Kirkland and Mr. Howard have many fans more than willing to help with endowments. I was surprised to see there will even be scholarships. It really seems like a labor of love and something that has been in the works for awhile. I wish my DD could take the intensive. I may email for more info.

This is intriguing. Wishing them all the best. Although I do not know her knowledge of Vaganova, she is smart, determined and connected. If it works, it could be fabulous! :grinning:

I see that Teele Ude is on the faculty. Ms. Ude is Vaganova-trained - in fact, she was a top student - at the Tallinn Ballet School. She is 26 years old and made a name for herself with Cirque du Soleil. I did not know Gelsey worked with her! I'm glad she has been hired to teach and inspire at the new school.

This is exciting to see new opportunities starting in this current economy not to mention with a great faculty. The cost of the trainee program is quite expense though- on the website it is listed at $11,000.00 per year! I'm glad they are finding scholarship money to support the program.

I certainly wish this venture well! Whatever have been her past reverses, Ms. Kirkland is a thoughtful, kindly, and good person, so she has my support in her endeavors.

Also saw the Dance Magazine ad. Will look forward to our members' experiences and comments.

m2

Does anyone on this thread know if they are offering housing for year round students?

Does any one know where the studios are for year round? Is anyone going to year round?

I received an email this morning with a few details regarding year round.

They are still working out all the details but I found out the studios will be in Tribeca for year round. The same apartments that are being used for the SI will also be available to students for year round. Cost for dorms will be approximately $650 to $1100 per month depending on if single, double, or triple. The final cost, level placement, and various other details are still in the works. But as decisions are made they will get the information out.