Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
hgraceoutloud

Max Weight for pointe dancers?

hgraceoutloud

Ok so one of my really good friends has been doing ballet for about 2 or 3 years, and our teacher put her en pointe this past october (she has really strong ankles). The thing is, her first pair of pointes were Bloch, and she broke them within 4 months, one class a week. She has Russians now, since February, and i heard my teacher tell her that her right shoe looks broken and she wont be able to do pointe in the recital, even though she'd been practicing alot. I was wondering what could have caused her shoes to break so quickly, and it came to my attention... She's about 200 lbs. Well distributed, but still heavy. I dont want to tell her that she is too heavy for pointe right now, so i was wondering what everyone thought was the maximum weight for a pointe dancer..

Please post back, Hgraceoutloud

Hans

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, Hgraceoutloud. I hate to do this as this is your first post, but I'm afraid I have to close this thread as we do not discuss specific weights here because weight is very individual and what works for one person may not work for others. It would be up to your teacher to decide whether pointe is appropriate for his or her students.

Thank you for your understanding, and please do stay to join in our discussions about ballet. :)