Ballet Talk for Dancers
Je Suis Aimee

Compressible feet!

Je Suis Aimee

I have just realized that I indeed have compressible feet. How annoying! On a whim I decided to look it up, and sure enough, when I tested it out, I could very easily and considerably squoosh my metatarsals together. Which would explain my persistent box-sinking problem.

I've been using the Gaynor Minden box liners which work a treat (although, I think I might be needing two for the left foot), but I was wondering if there are any others out there with compressible feet who can share additional tips and tricks! :rolleyes: How common is this by the way?

Ginniathezinnia

Wow, you know I've never really thought much about this but I think I might have the same thing!

Lidewij

And your topic made me, as well, realise that I might have it..

But then, my pointe shoes are quite a bit narrower than my actual feet. Perhaps my fitter 'corrected' this without me even knowing! :unsure: (That would be one of the only thing he's done well, in fact. Next time I'm going somewhere else, even if it means I'll have to explain myself in another language)

I don't know whether I have it, I can squeeze my feet together, but I've never really sunk into the box, only once when my Blochs were almost (or entirely?) dead. Any tips on how to know for sure? :)

ami1436

I think you should ask this on the pointe shoe forum, because you could have square feet, short toes, and have compressible feet... or be like me, with narrow feet, tapered toes, and compressible feet. I can make do with somewhat tapered box, but have found that as they break in, they don't work. So, for me and my feet, I need a narrow width and tapered vamp to help me manage my compressible feet. It will be different for everyone depending on their feet.

Serendipity

Ami, when they break in and you say they don't work, what part of the shoe doesn't work? I find when mine break in, it's the wings that don't work. I've done some things to "pull them in" (like the shellac'ing, which appears to tighten up the wings) but even then I sink on my rfght foot (left appears to be fine) when they're at a nice, broken-in level.

Je Suis Aimee

Right now I am having the very annoying problem that as my Grishko Pros are breaking in, I am sinking into the box. I was using ouch pouches plus the box liners, and now on the left foot I had to switch to the Gellow plus the box liner because my big toe was mashing into the seam of the ouch pouch against the platform, which was unbearable. I'll lose it if these shoes lose support already, I have only had them for what, three weeks of two 1 and 1/2 hrs. pointe class each? :) Is it time to break out the shellac?

Can someone tell me what the wings are by the way?

Also, can a mod move this thread to the pointe shoe forum or should I restart the thread there? Thanks in advance! :wacko:

P.S. my feet are rather narrow, and semi-tapered.

dancepig

Wings are the side of the box, some shoes offer stiffer wings, some have no wings at all, that is when there is no additional support on the side of the box. I have found toe spacers help me with my compressible feet, they help to keep my feet from "squishing" and they help to keep the bunions away. However, I have a large space between my big toe and my second toe on both feet. I also start with the shoe very, very snug, as snug as possible, with little padding and build up the padding as the box of the shoe stretches out. Ms. DeVor has a lot of information on her website - The-Perfect-Pointe, check it out: The-Perfect-Pointe Articles

Je Suis Aimee

Thanks dancepig. So I definitely need wing support. That is a good strategy you have and it is what I have now been doing inadvertently. Next time I buy a new pair I will see if I can get the shoe to fit even more snug.

I suspect that the make of my shoe might even have something to do with it. On Grishko's site it says that the Pro model is constructed with some new glue that makes the box more "elastic". Ummm, no, I definitely do not need that! :wacko: My first Grishkos were just the original 2007s, and they lasted me forever. I'm definitely going back to those. :)

I'm going to check out those articles!

ami1436

Serendipity, do you mean wings, or width? The stiffness of the wings and the narrowness of the block are two different things, although related. Sometimes I'm told that I can start in one width larger (which is MUCH easier to find), but I know that these just don't support my metatarsals as much as I need, and the same thing goes for the semi-tapered. However, others will find that it's not the taper, but the width, or the wing stiffness, etc. Je Suis, if you want this moved to the pointe forum I suggest you PM Ms. De Vor or Clara.

Serendipity

The wings soften, then widen. It's not the block itself. It's right at the top of the metatarsal area (the area where some people would get bunions, but I don't have bunions).

My Gaynors box 3 are semi-tapered and support pretty well, although the block itself is smaller than I'm used to. The Capezio Plie I is a great shoe but as it softens/breaks in, the wing widens. Spraying with shellac has helped immensely in tightening up that part. I don't have to spray further down in the blocked area, only along the sides.

I don't think I have compressible feet (disappearing heel, yes, but not my metas). I've ordered a narrower size from my fitter to see if that could help. Mind, it only happens on my smaller, right foot. My left seems to do well no matter what the shoe does!

Je Suis Aimee

Ami - Thanks!

Serendipity - It's the same thing with me: my left, smaller foot is the problem, and it's always the first one to give me problems. It also squooshes in like an accordion, to a greater degree than my right foot. :)