Ballet Talk for Dancers
ddm

Average height ranges of major US companies

balletgirlie1207   
balletgirlie1207
I thought Whitney Jensen from BB was quite petite?

Last time I looked I think Richmond Ballet also had a 5'4" - 5'7" height requirement for females and I have seen other company audition listings with female height minimums of 5'6" or 5'7" (in the case of LINES).

I'm pretty sure Whitney Jensen is any shorter than 5'4" or 5'5".

BBBalletMum   
BBBalletMum
For the record - Kaori Nakamura is about 5 feet, maybe 5'1", and their tallest female dancer is 6 feet tall. Maria Chapman is by no means the shortest dancer there. Houston or SFO just hired a 5 footer too I hear. This is at PNB....

This information about shorter ballerinas is wonderful. My daughter is around 5" - 5.1". We are from Australia and she would love to be part of a Company in America. We have always been told that America is only interested in tall dancers. She has auditioned for schools in Europe and America and has had some offers. This makes our decision so much easier. Thank you

Edited by BBBalletMum

Ms. KLS   
Ms. KLS
I have spent a lot of time trying to find height ranges for females in the major the major US companies. I have searched her on BT as well as through google.

Anyone have any ideas about NYCB, ABT, SFB, PNB, etc. Or can you tell me where to look? I've tried all sorts of keyword combinations and come up with very little. Not much to go on either since auditions aren't posted right now.

This may sound pretentious, but I'm not. Have you tried calling the company and asking what they're looking for? I've found most will be helpful and willing to give that information to prospective employees...

Momof3darlings   
Momof3darlings

Ms. KLS-that request for information was from June of last year.

pas de corgi   
pas de corgi

Does anyone know how tall Leta Biasucci (corps de ballet--PNB) is?

pas de corgi   
pas de corgi

Thanks--she is a lovely and athletic dancer.

Guest coupe66   
Guest coupe66

Arizona Native, thank you for posting the link to the article about Leta Biasucci. I especially enjoyed this portion:

Leta also fights against being typecast in “short girl” roles, so it’s a good thing Stowell looks beyond height when sizing up a dancer. “Physical traits can influence a career,” he says, “but the qualities that have the biggest impact are a good attitude, reliability, taking personal responsibility, making the most of opportunities and being fun to work with. Beyond that, dance big and make things your own. Be irreplaceable!”

What great advice!

Tami1   
Tami1

Does anyone know about Ballet West's company height? I saw on their website the current height they're looking for is 5'3 to 5'9 but I wasn't sure how much taller the rest of the company is. I'm 5'10 and really want to find a tall company!

dancemaven   
dancemaven

Tami1, your profile/interest identifies you as a "ballet parent". But your post above states you are looking for company that accommodates your height. So it appears two people may be sharing a BT4D account, which we don't permit. If so, we need one of you to create a separate account.

DancingSquirrel   
DancingSquirrel

Does anyone know of specific companies that favor short female ballet dancers? I'm still growing, but at 15 I'm only 5'2'' :P

dancermomkme   
dancermomkme

My DS is 5'6" and just got an apprentice job at Oregon Ballet Theatre.

tropicfive   
tropicfive

Dancermomkme - congrats on the job for your DS! Be sure to post on the Congratulations board...we all want to celebrate the hiring/promoting of our DKs! Thanks, too, for the height info - is most of OBT on the shorter side?

learningdance   
learningdance

Does anyone know about Ballet West's company height? I saw on their website the current height they're looking for is 5'3 to 5'9 but I wasn't sure how much taller the rest of the company is. I'm 5'10 and really want to find a tall company!

I watched a clip on YAGP (About judging) and the AD at Ballet West was asked about the degree to which a male dancer he had just seen fit into Ballet west (I believe the dancer was Derek Dunn) and he said, "Our company tends to run tall." Also, you can watch

Breaking Pointe, a new reality tv show on the CW that features BW and my observation is that the dancers did, in fact, appear to be on the taller side.

dancermomkme   
dancermomkme

Dancermomkme - congrats on the job for your DS! Be sure to post on the Congratulations board...we all want to celebrate the hiring/promoting of our DKs! Thanks, too, for the height info - is most of OBT on the shorter side?

Thanks tropicfive. My DS says that the company is mixed in height and there are other short men as well as taller men.