Ballet Talk for Dancers
bruyere

Doing Own Hair...When?

dancingjet

DD does her own hair as much out of necessity now as much as anything. We leave straight from school to get to class, so she does her hair in the car and then changes clothes at the studio.

Tips - hair nets really help, as does a little bit of water or some sort of styling cream. Fresh, clean hair is the toughest to work with, around here anyway.

GTLS Designs

Every year, around March (a couple months before recital) I bring in my Ballet 3A's (age 11), and their moms, and show them how to do a proper bun. The mom's help out sometimes, or oversee that their dancer is doing it correct. The dancers are then expected to practice for the next couple months on how to do their bun, and I check it every class. By recital, most of them are doing their hair by themselves, because some of them have received "corrections" on their hair.... and they don't want to be noticed for it not being right. By the time they are 13 years old, I don't see any mom's doing hair - and all of the buns look perfect!!

bruyere

I appreciate everyone's responses. DD is only seven, so I am content to do her hair for now. However, we find ourselves in a hurry zipping across town on both of her ballet days, and she has attempted to do her own buns.

Twelfth Night, thank you for the pointers. I have been using a different method but will definitely try the way you suggested!

Dancingjet, I know what you mean about fresh, clean hair being hard to work with. My DD's hair is so soft and slippery that we get betters results when we "junk" her hair up.

GTLS Designs, I love what you do for your students!

ddsbiggestfan

My daughter (now 12) also started doing her own hair at 11. I was so relieved since I could never do it quite right - as the others have said it was never smooth enough or tight enough for her! I have to say, she now does a much better job than I ever did. Now I'm hoping that she will take over doing her own makeup for shows as well - last year I almost completely lost it when trying to do her eyeliner! Since I rarely wear makeup myself I find it a really tough job.

Balletlove
lemlemish, boy can I relate! I was terrible in my attempts at making buns, so out of embarrassment my daughter at a very young age started making her own. Actually I saw this as a good thing and followed through with really terrible sewing of her pointe shoes. (though I really tried to do a good job!) After she saw what I did to her first pair, she started sewing her own. My ineptitude as a mother, I think, made her the independent young woman I see today.

Isu you are definitely on to something here! I had a good chuckle at your post, but think that I could learn a few things too!!!! :)

My little one does her own hair, but it takes forever and is not very tidy so I normally just do it (maybe I shouldnt) Although I must admit that for exams the teacher does most of the girls hair for them (including mine :sweating: although I do get a very neat bun it is without all the twirls and things we do for exams and performances).

Balletlove
Dancingjet, I know what you mean about fresh, clean hair being hard to work with. My DD's hair is so soft and slippery that we get betters results when we "junk" her hair up.

Very soft and fine hair is IMHO the hardest, if your daughters hair is not too long (just below the shoulders or shorter) tying it in a pony tail and then teasing it lightly helps a lot.

Mel Johnson

This is one of those jobs like sewing shoes that should be the student's job as soon as she CAN do it.

MyDancinGirl

My dd is 11 and started doing her own bun this past summer. She also got her first pointe shoes this summer too, so I guess the "responsibility" of starting to do things on her own has kicked in. Of course, her buns weren't perfect at first, but she has learned to do them better with experience. Sometimes, I have to restrain myself from "re-doing her bun" and just let it go. She needs to learn what is acceptable and what is not from trial and error on her part. And sometimes the teacher telling her that her bun needs to be neater is more effective than me nagging her about it :) . My dd just started middle school this fall also, so there is a lot of independence and responsibility that she needs to experience and adjust to.

MamatoMary

My DD turns 9 in a few days and started doing her own bun a couple of weeks ago. I barely have enough time to pick her up and get her to class so it was either do her own bun before class or I would have to do it in the morning before school (and DD likes her hair down for school). Luckily she has perfect hair that is a good length and texture for bun making. One of the girls in her class has this contraption where you put the ponytail in between these slits, roll the contraption up and snap it into place creating an instant bun.

bruyere

MamatoMary, we also have some of those instant bun contraptions. I confess to using them on Fridays where we barely make class on time. They are really handy, but DD's hair is layered, so the buns aren't always the neatest.

trythis

My DD's (Ages 13 and 10 now) started fully doing their own last year when I went to work full time! But I will still do it on a Saturday and for performances.

I am not a fan of teachers calling students out for messy buns in class. When I was trying to teach my dd's to do their own, and when I first went back to work, they had to do their own in very short time because of rushing from school to ballet. Then to have a teacher send them out of class for the bun not being neat enough, with out mommy there to help them, just made them frustrated. Teachers need to remember that it is hard to learn, and hard to do with out a mirror (in car). Give them some time to figure it out. I am forever greatful to the office worker who redid my dd's bun almost every class. But I get angry when I think of the instruction time she missed.

MamatoMary
MamatoMary, we also have some of those instant bun contraptions. I confess to using them on Fridays where we barely make class on time. They are really handy, but DD's hair is layered, so the buns aren't always the neatest.

Bruyere - I asked our original owner of the bun contraption if she had any pointers for fine, thin layered hair. I don't know how long your DD's hair is, but she suggested not pulling the contraption to the end; rather go a little more than halfway down and then "double up" the hair as you roll it up. Does that make sense? That way, it should grab the layers better and the hair is less likely to fall out of it. Maybe applying gel or hairspray first will help.

A little chuckle: we ran out of hair gel do my DD improvised with the only gel in the house - aloe vera. For the record, it doesn't work. It just makes a mess. :)

stretchthosefeet

I do the pony tail and then my 9 year old daughter does the rest. Soon hopefully she'll be doing it all :offtopic:

SewRibbons

Age 12. She taught herself via a YouTube video in the weeks leading up to her first summer intensive. She knew she'd be responsible for having to do her own hair. Now she doesn't have to wear a bun to school all day (I'm at work and don't see her in the afternoon). She does them pretty well, but the ponytail is the hardest part for her. She uses a ton of gel and hairspray and a million hair pins, but the bun actually looks really good.

dancingjet

I was thinking more about this. DD has trouble getting a medium to high pony tail, so for now all of her buns are low buns. She has not yet figured out how to get a higher pony tail that still feels smooth and neat. Since she is doing her hair in the car two days a week, she sticks to what she knows for now. At some point I figure she'll work her way up to higher buns so that she can have those as well.