Ballet Talk for Dancers
bruyere

Doing Own Hair...When?

Hillary1

DD is 10. I was fired from bun duty as well as shoe-sewing duty this year. She would rather do this all herself, and does a better job anyway.

balletmomy

Hair was a progression but like everyone else we ran out of time and she would end up doing it in the vehicle on the way to the studio.

As far as sewing her shoes, she soon learned that skill (she started ballet at 9).

With her pointe shoes, the first day a group from her studio received them the teacher sat them down and showed them how to sew them themselves. I am forever thankful for that! :shrug:

b1

Arrggghhh! My 10yo struggles to do her own hair! :shrug: I have to add that I am her teacher this year, and I make a mean (tight) bun. I think I spoiled her, lol. But, she is in level 3 and I insist that all level 3 kids start doing their own hair this year. I know it will not necessarily be neat the first few (thousand) times, but the more you do it, the better it gets, and I explain that to both the parents and students. Now, if someone could make my own child understand that she has to start doing it (I hate having fights with her in front of my other students!...I wish her peers would talk to her/help her).

The same goes for pointe shoes and ribbons. The level below pointe has ribbons on their ballet shoes. We practice sewing the ribbons on the ballet shoes all together. Then, when they get to pointe, they know how to do it! I really dislike when a ribbon falls off and a mother says something to the effect of...."I am going to sew it on the sewing machine. I sew it better than she does and it keeps falling off when she sews it." If you keep sewing it, she will NEVER learn how to do it so it DOESN'T fall off! :blink:

ondine88

Whenever it is ........ it's a great day!!! :)

mamabear

D.D. eight and a half has been doing her own buns for about a year. Her hair is almost waist length, thick and curly (and prone to tangles, which is probably why I'm banned from touching it LOL!) They look really neat and tidy, but they're all low buns. I still insist on doing the exam and performance buns, though, just to make sure that they're good and tight.

YPK

My daughter is almost 7 and very interested in doing her own bun after watching a YouTube demonstration. It really motivated her when she found out she could have control over her own hair vs being at "my mercy", since sometimes I make them too tight ! I let her do her own bun when she wants, (she also practises on her little sister), but I always do her performance buns.

jabba20000

Both my DD's were a round 10 when they started doing their own buns. As far as sewing pointe shoes goes, I have never sewn a pair of pointe shoes. When my girls started pre pointe the teacher spent an hour each week with the girls and taught them how to sew and watched them do it. You couldn't put on those shoes until you had sewn them yourself and since the shoes stayed locked up at the studio parents could't "help". It was frustrating for my girls at the time, but well worth it as they started point being able to sew their own shoes.

MrsM

My dd was 11, which is probably on the old side. But I'm happy to say she has also sewn one of her pointe shoes (first pair), as I did the other to let her copy my example. Is anyone going to be surprised when I say that she did the better job of we two? :thumbsup: I don't always realize right away when my children are ready to be independent, but I'm learning!

gator_mama

Not soon enough! She can do it, but not smooth enough (we all have curls in the family).

I want to know how the older kiddie do their performance hair French twists... I can't, for the life of me, twist her hair without bumps on top.

cowgrrl

Mine started about 9 or so. We were driving straight from school to ballet so it just made sense. I let her teachers know that I was turning over daily hair responsibility to her but that I would still do performances. I was also told to do the first elastic on her new pointe shoes but that she would be doing the ribbons during summer intensive. She's gotten pretty good. My next goal is to get here to be able to do the 'switch' during Nutcracker by herself (1 bun to 2 buns).

Dualdancers

We are *really* struggling with this right now. DD is 11 (12 in May), and she's auditioning for SIs for this summer so we both realize if she gets accepted she'll have to do her own bun. Her hair is shoulder-length, layered and fine (but she has a lot of it), so it can't be pinned when it's dry - it all just slips out even for me, never mind her when she's doing it "blind". We've tried all the gizmos we can find and none of them work. It's so frustrating!

Clara 76

Time for her to learn how to braid, let her hair layers grow out, and use gels and hair sprays and other styling products. :thumbsup:

Balletlove

Dualdancers it sounds like your dd has hair more like me than my dd.

I second Clara's suggestion of letting the layers grow out at least so that the shortest layers make it into a ponytail with relative ease.

A spray bottle with some water (or even better, I purchase the liquid type hairspray and dilute 1 part hairspray with 3 parts water) spritzed over the hair before you start getting it into a ponytail works wonders!

Tie a tight ponytail and take it from there... it used to take me literally ages to get my hair into a neat bun for class, I can do it in under 2 minutes with one elastic, one hair net and five pins (the slightly longer ones) its all about practice!

buzzandmoo

The pins from bunheads have made all the difference! Personally the bun was the hardest thing I ever learned to do! LOL Our first year at our current school, I was talked through making a bun by an out of work dancer who was working as receptionist. We spray the ponytail before twisting around and that helps grab the layers. I found that talking my DD through the process and having her do the work also helped. She also practiced on her American Girl doll! We found hairspray to be a bit unforgiving and use a spray gel. There is one by Paul Mitchell (found it at CVS) and Tigi (Bed Head line, blue bottle)

MamatoMary

Are you required to have that slicked-back look? If not, I can tell you how DD (age 10) deals with her layers herself. After she does the bun part (and she does have long hair so that helps), she gathers the layers still around her face and then twists them and pins them on one side of her face or puts them into a small braid on the side. Layers are pretty popular among the pre-teens around here, and most of the girls in her dance classes wear their hair like this for practice. She doesn't use water or gel and the style does stay, so I'm sure a little gel would only help matters. For performances, she does the bun and I handle the layers - slathering them with spray gel so they don't move. Her layers extend from about the bottom of her eye to her chin to give you an idea.