Ballet Talk for Dancers
bruyere

Doing Own Hair...When?

SewRibbons
A spray bottle with some water (or even better, I purchase the liquid type hairspray and dilute 1 part hairspray with 3 parts water) spritzed over the hair before you start getting it into a ponytail works wonders!

Balletlove - this sounds like a great idea; we usually use only water. What exactly is liquid type hairspray? I want to try this!

Thanks!

Balletlove

Thanks Clara, yes that is what I meant!

LizDancer

My DD is 10 and I still do her hair. She is scared to go to an intensive because I won't be there to take care of her hair and such. From reading the posts, I see the issue. I have done too good of a job of make a bump free, perfectly flat bun. If I did a poorer job, her type A perfectionist personality would take over and make her more independent. Perhaps I should become suddenly impaired.

Clara 76

She is still young though, and SIs are not necessary at that age, so don't fret too much!!

LoveMyJob

I too am "hair challenged" so I have been fired from bun duty since DD was 7. I was also fired from pointe shoe duty, before I even was given a chance. It apparently pays to be incompetent. :clapping: Hmmmm....maybe this is why my dh can't remember the "right" cupboard for the cereal bowls. :wallbash:

Clara 76

Oh yes! Men have perfected the "I can't do it" thing- through generations!!!! I think it's about time we learned.........

buzzandmoo

Totally off topic but appropriate!

When I was home sick from school about the age of 7, I spent the day with my grandparents since both my parents worked. As I sat in the kitchen eating breakfast with my grandmother, I watched my grandfather come in, make his breakfast and leave. I asked my grandmother why she didn't make breakfast for him. She replied that when they were first married she burned his breakfast on purpose. I asked why? Her reply still gives me the giggles.... "If a man knows you can do something, he will make you do it for the rest of your life!" LOL She hated getting up early, and this way she could sleep in! Too funny!

Clara 76

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE your Memaw!!

cowgrrl

My DD11 was about 8 or 9. I started her with making her own ponytail & then I would do the bun. Now, I do none of it, even for shows. There were some tears & some 'I can't do it!!' moments but now she gets in the car & immediately starts on her bun. I did tell her teachers that I was having her do her own hair for class & I would still handle performances & they were very supportive.

AFA pointe shoes, she hasn't started yet but I will make it her job as much as possible. After all, they aren't my pointe shoes!

jennasmum

My dd has to learn how to do her hair before she goes off to her first SI. Thanks all for sharing your stories....having her do her own ponytail is a good start!

Mniko

I started the other way around. I always but up her ponytail to make sure it is super tight and then DD who is 10 does her bun. She does a much better job with that than me!

Bunhead Mama

This has become an issue with my DD10. She can do it. Still I have spent years doing her hair for her. Not just doing it for her but coming up with all sorts of cute ways to braid it, twist it, and all sorts of little things that she always wants me to do it for her. My issue is I really enjoy doing it (I also did a few of her friend's hair for SI auditions and loved it). I really need to learn to say make her do it more often. Independence is a good thing... It just makes me feel a little bit less needed. :( Oh well. She she still at least needs me to drive her right?

Edited by Bunhead Mama

buzzandmoo

Oh I feel your pain Bunhead Mama! lol My 10yr old makes me beg to do her hair these days, she "allows" me on special days (picture day). Too quickly they grow! :wacko:

arodrig612

Up until this year I would help my daughter with her bun regularly. This year my DD (age 11) has taken all the bun making responsibilities, which has made the commute to and from dance much easier. My DD has very thick wavy hair and claims that using two elastics for the ponytail helps make her bun feel more secure and makes it easier to make the bun.