Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UF.Areona

Florida colleges with dance major

10 posts in this topic

Does anyone know any colleges in Florida that offer great dance majors? Or what's a good college in Florida to go to if you want to major in dancing?

My alma mater, Jacksonville University has a small but very good dance program, BFA in dance and dance education. You really get one on one attention. They have just added a Masters program in choreography. My sister is currently attending the Masters program and says that the undergraduate program has improved with more guest artists and more of a ballet emphasis. ABT II recently did a small residency there. I know they also give dance scholarships. I remember receiving one as a student there.

Check it out. http://arts.ju.edu/dance/index.htm

FSU and S FL in Tampa. They should have individual threads.

Okay thanks .

Have you checked out all the individual threads on the colleges? If you go to the bottom of the main page after hitting "View New Posts", you will see a section where you can select a forum. You want the "Colleges/Universities with Ballet Programs or Dance Programs Offering Ballet Classes. You can then look up all the Florida possibilities.

I looked and it was a section with Florida titled, but that was written a couple of years ago.

USF and FSU

Maybe you could post on each of the individual college links, and you might get a response. If you don't get a response, then I suppose there are no current BT4D members at those colleges.

UF.Areona, Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers. Glad you found us and hope you will make use of the information we have collected and that you will add to it.

Hopefully, by now you have taken a little time to figure out how our Forums work. As you already know, we do have a specific Forum in which we have dedicated threads for the various colleges that offer dance programs. They are arranged alphabetically for ease of locating them. Please do note that we keep the threads open there for folks to ask additional questions and add information throughout the years. As tutus2you noted, sometimes there may not be a current BT4D member currently attending a particular school, so information may not always be johnny-on-the-spot. BT4D serves the purpose as a research tool---and often a very, very good one---but it cannot serve as the primary tool. :P

Now that you have several ideas of Florida schools that have dance programs, I do hope you will hop on over to the dedicated Forum and review the specific threads for each program. Please do feel free to post any questions you have on the appropriate thread---even if the thread hasn't been active in awhile. Schools often garner interest in cycles. We'd love to generate updates on any school you choose to bring to the forefront---hopefully, some one will have had recent experience with it.

Another way to search Florida schools on that Forum is to go down to the bottom of the Index page. In the left hand corner, there is a "Search Forum" option. Simply put in your search term, e.g., 'Florida', hit the button and you will be given a list of threads in that specific Forum that mention Florida. In that manner, you may come across schools that you hadn't known the name of to look up alphabetically.

Happy searching and best wishes!

Just thought of another Florida college. How about New World School of the Arts in Miami?