Ballet Talk for Dancers
Momof3darlings

2008-2011 Tell us about your Graduating Class: Pre-pros

Momof3darlings
To clarify the purpose of this thread, it is to list the company offers, college acceptances and other job offers that were made to the graduating seniors at your school. If you can share how many are in the graduating class that would also be helpful. No names please and no need to break it out by individual. If you want to list the company or school first and how many offers were made to seniors at your school, that is fine. We want to protect anonymity of dancers, but still give the pertinent facts.

It is most helpful if you are willing to list your school as that will help members find quality instruction in their area. However, if you are not comfortable with that, please give us as much information about your school as you can. It is also important to be very specific about the actual offer by determining if it is a corp contract, apprentice, trainee or other post grad program. By just stating, for instance, Colorado Ballet gives the impression of a full corp contract when the reality of today's times is that it is likely a Trainee position. This information greatly helps those looking at the differences in what contracts are being offered at smaller schools vs. residencies or residencies vs. larger pro schools for determination of how to spend their next year, should they be making those decisions.

calamitous

I'll start since our seniors were out last week. DD dances at a Performing arts HS in Cincinnati. There were 12 kids in the pre-pro track (although several had no pro intentions). This was probably the most talented group of kids through in a while but most have opted to give up dance.

Of those going on

One girl going to company with Ballet Magnificent

One going on to SF ballet/ school trainee- D says he will be out soon

one girl going to CCM for ballet

one going to Point Park for ballet

one girl to Gaucher for ballet

One girl will minor in dance at IU

One going on in Jazz vocal performance (no one knew she sang until this year)

None of the others intend to continue to dance beyond a recreational level. This was something of a surprise that so many opted to stop dancing (particularly the vocal performance as she was being groomed for auditions).

balletbooster

Copied from the NCSA thread, courtesy of lovemydancers:

~ The Nashville Ballet offer was for NB2,

~ The LINES offers (I know of two) were in fact the LBSET program mentioned above,

~ The Cincinnati Ballet offer is an apprenticeship, I believe,

~ The Houston offer is for HB2,

~ The Rochester City Ballet offer is an apprenticeship, I believe,

~ The Richmond offers (I know of two) are traineeships, I believe,

~ The NCDT offer I think is a traineeship,

~ The Hawaii Ballet offer I do not know

~ Royal Ballet is an apprenticeship, as mentioned

I do not know how many graduating seniors there are this year, nor can I state male/female for all of the contracts mentioned above. Perhaps someone can share that data?

mmded

John Cranko Schule Academy (post secondary two year program)

- 7 Apprentice contracts to Stuttgart Ballett (all four boys in the graduating class including the Grand Prix winner from YAGP 2008

-2 Corps contracts to Vienna State Ballet

-1 Contract to Dresden Ballet ( I am not sure whether it is apprentice or corps)

Six of the ten graduating female dancers have signed contracts, as above all four males.

Doubleturn

Is this a new thing - apprenticeship with the Royal Ballet? As far as I know, they have never had any appprenticeships in London. Or is it perhaps joining the Graduate Year (3rd Year ) of the Upper School in Covent Garden?

ami1436

Well, most of their Prix de Lausanne winners who don't go through the school go through apprenticeships... and sometimes they do so when 'between' school and company.

vrsfanatic

A Harid student was offered a RB apprenticeship a few years ago while traveling with ABT Studio Co. (2 months out of school). :blink: She chose to stay with ABT. :wacko:

lovemydancers
I do not know how many graduating seniors there are this year, nor can I state male/female for all of the contracts mentioned above. Perhaps someone can share that data?

All of the above NCSA offers are female except for the Royal Ballet offer. I'll post any updates after graduation this weekend.

ami1436
She chose to stay with ABT. :wacko:

Le sigh! As you know, I love her dancing... am saddened that I didn't see her more often on the ROH stage! (Lucky New Yorkers!)

balletgirl22sk

At Walnut Hill, only one girl I know is dancing. She is going to SAB for the summer and hopes to get asked to stay for next year.

dancincorgi

Really? Only one? :wacko: What are the others doing, do you know?

Memo

Sorry but as far as I know there are no apprentice contracts at Royal Ballet. There is the 3rd year Graduate Class (most are high school grads) that is like a studio company type situation (lost of performing and touring and performing with the company). Dancers taken into the company go in as corps de ballet unless something changed VERY recently.

Well, most of their Prix de Lausanne winners who don't go through the school go through apprenticeships... and sometimes they do so when 'between' school and company.

Prix de Lausanne winners go to the school.

I am with Doubleturn on this one.

Doubleturn

I don't think you have created a controversy, I was just a bit puzzled. It does indeed say on the Prix de Lausanne site that there is a scholarship to the Royal Ballet School and another prize is for an Apprentice at the Royal Ballet. However, nowhere on either the Royal Ballet School website or the Royal Ballet company website does it talk about Apprenticeships, so I just wonder if it is new or if there has been a mistranslation along the way. Above all I would hate the dancer in question to be misled. Congratulations to him for winning the place anyway.

balletgirl22sk

At WH, most of the graduates are going to college. I will try to find out where.