Ballet Talk for Dancers
leanne

demi pointe shoe frustration (whilst on the flat) doing arabesque and

Miss Persistent

That sounds like they would be fine. For your exam you could wear Demi-pointe shoes, real pointe shoes with the shank removed or even real pointe shoes with a very soft shank that has been worked in if you wanted. There is no "shoe inspector" at an exam, so just wear what will allow you dance your best. :)

However, none of these are required for Intermediate Foundation, only Intermediate and above. Intermediate Foundation candidates can wear soft slippers with ribbons.

LaFilleSylphide

Demi pointe shoes/soft pointe shoes are practice shoes constructed with a box, quite similar to regular pointe shoes. The difference is that they're not built with the necessary support structure (ie. shankless) for the dancer to be able to use them for actual pointework. It's very dangerous to attempt pointework on these shoes. They are meant for dancers to become accustomed to wearing a shoe that is constrictive, has a hard box, and a stiff outsole; they're like the pre-torturous step before you graduate to regular pointe shoes. One could say it's like getting your feet wet before taking the plunge. I never really used them, so I can't attest that they help you adapt to pointe shoes any faster, but I imagine that being used to a demi pointe and being able to articulate your feet well in them might make the shock of transitioning from canvas slippers to the extremely awkward and hard pointe shoe less shocking.

Spiraboo

Sorry for necro-bumping this but I'm in the exact same boat as the poster!

I have been dancing on my bloch demi pointe shoes for 3 months now and they are very soft and feels pretty similar to dancing on flats - as long as I am not trying to balance on one foot (flat). It is a bit ridiculous as I feel like I have better balance doing the same sequences on demi pointe! And I feel like I have better luck balancing on my pointe shoes than these.

I looked through this thread multiple times and I've tried pretty much everything, apart from stripping the foam shank out as the new models no longer have a leather insole - the insole is the foam shank!

Since it has been 6 years since this post I'm just wondering if anyone has any more advice? is it actually a fundamental issue on my weight placement or is it actually these shoes?

I am considering chucking these away and trying a different make's but is this going to make a difference? which make should I try? these things are £50 a pop so I don't want to try that then to find out it's me... :(

Redbookish

I thought that was partly the point of demi-pointe shoes - that you got used to working with the far less pliable and much less flat-soled nature of pointe shoes - on the flat and in allegro? So it may not be to do with the brand/make of shoe, but the nature of a demi-pointe shoe?

I'm not sure, because I haven't worked in pointe or demi-pointe shoes for a couple of decades. But I remember that wobbly feeling on flat in pointe shoes, and I get what you mea about it being easier to balance on pointe. But I thought that was part of the function of demi-pointe shoes - to train the body's proprioception and all the little muscles involved in creating & maintaining stability. 

Miss Persistent
9 hours ago, Spiraboo said:

is it actually a fundamental issue on my weight placement or is it actually these shoes?

It's both - the shoes have changed your natural weight placement due to the shank and the box - they are just not as flexible as soft shoes so will "throw" your weight around a little bit until you adapt.  Some of my older students often don't like wearing them so will only use them sporadically and guess what - the minute the put them on they can't pirouette, can't balance, whinge and cry at me and I tell them tough luck! Go fix it!! :)

7 hours ago, Redbookish said:

I thought that was partly the point of demi-pointe shoes - that you got used to working with the far less pliable and much less flat-soled nature of pointe shoes - on the flat and in allegro? So it may not be to do with the brand/make of shoe, but the nature of a demi-pointe shoe?

I completely agree Redbookish - that's exactly what they're supposed to do. 

Keep persisting Spiraboo - try some proprioception exercises like balancing with your eyes closed or put your DP's on a stand on a wobble board, or try de-shanked pointe shoes which you might find more natural as they are already molded to your foot (Though if they have a very long vamp it will be difficult to stand on a true demi-pointe).  You just have to train your body to adapt.