Ballet Talk for Dancers
tinyzinnia

Blurry jump photo OK?

tinyzinnia

For an SI in which I am interested there is a photo application process- requested are demi plie 1st position, tendu a la seconde, arabesque and one more optional photo of choice. For the optional photo I wanted to have a grand pas de chat (aka grand jete). Unfortunately all of my photos have come out slightly blurry. Not majorly, just slightly. Do you think a little blurriness is acceptable in an "action photo"? Should I try to take a jump photo with no blurring? (How do people even do that? Better lighting?) OR should I just give up on the jump altogether and do a different pose, like a developpe a la seconde?

Oh and is it acceptable to have photos in different leotards? Probably it would be better if I went back and re-took the ones where I'm wearing a different leo... What about different shoes, since they didn't specify? (The jump is in flats , demi plie is in de-shanked shoes and tendu and arabesque are with pointe shoes)

Argh...I don't expect that anyone will be able to help me get that perfect arabesque photo, unless there's a Good Fairy out there to turn me into Svetlana Zakharova or something. If it's not a bent knee or weird head, it's a funny hand! those darned hands!

Anyway, back to the original point, which was, is a slightly blurry jump photo okay?

Actually I could post the photos in question online if that would help.

Thanks for bearing with my post/rant! Hope this exact question hasn't been asked before! :)

Victoria Leigh

I think it would be very helpful if you could post the photos and give us a link. :)

Victoria Leigh

Okay, Zinnia. Some very good shots there, but the blurry part of the grand jeté loses one leg and/or foot in every one of them. And that is too bad, because you have a lovely jump! :) I would do them again, and don't have the camera shooting into the light from the windows. Add a few other poses, or at least one other, in case the jeté can't be done without the blur.

In terms of the arabesque, the line of the back leg is better in #6, although I see why you like #11. It is a striking photo, and the supporting foot looks wonderful. But, the back leg line is not so good. Number 6 is a very well done classical line, both legs turned out and the supporting foot, while not as awesome as in #11, is still very good. But, of course it's your choice!

I would not worry about different leotards or shoes. Your tendu looks better in soft shoes, and I don't think that matters unless it was requested that it be in pointe shoes. Just the arabesque and the jump really need to be in pointe shoes. :)

dancemaven

Oops! A parent wandered into the YD Forum by mistake and a post was removed.

tinyzinnia

Thanks for the feedback. I submitted my application, and we'll see how it goes!