Ballet Talk for Dancers
Jakksbee

Male Dance Bag Essentials?

Jakksbee

My brother just made principle in his company, he's worked so hard to do so and I thougth I would do something nice and have a custom bag made and fill it with all the essentials... but I've come to realize I don't know what the "essentials" are.

I found lots of information for girls bags and I know some of it transfers over but are there other things a 16 year old male needs?

And should I even try to be sneaky with trying to get him new tights and other clothing?

(my mom always gets him everything)

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Jakksbee

Victoria Leigh

Jakksbee, I moved this topic to The Men's Forum. Even though you are not a dancer yourself, your question will best be handled by our male moderators and dancers. :)

jimpickles

Deodorant?

Hans

A few ideas, by no means exhaustive:

A small sewing kit (a ziploc bag is fine) with black and white spools of thread, wide and narrow elastics, needles, and safety pins

A mini first aid kid (could also be a ziploc bag) with things like band-aids, medical tape, and Tiger Balm or Icy Hot

Breath mints (for partnering!)

I'm sure our members will have many other good ideas. :)

Jakksbee

Thanks guys this really helps! I also am gonna hit a local ballet store and see if they have anything else need :)

OnlyBoy

A towel when you sweat is always nice.

I also have a gén flask customized by some friends that I love and show everybody :D

Mel Johnson

Oops! A mom posted here by mistake. Sorry. :(

MJ

A Stainless or clear water bottle.  A shaving/toiletry kit since he will be traveling. foot moisturizer and a nailcare kit. Mukluks. Small clear bottles for liquids: Detergent & Shampoo if he will be traveling. A backpack is more useful than a handbag. moisturier for hands and face, unscented.

knit legwarmers or pants would be great, all dancers spend a lot of time waiting around, and you cool down quickly.

MJ

Extra wide elastic in Black and white.

Jakksbee

You guys are amazing! I just got the duffle bag and it looks perfect going shopping in the next few days for all the things above! Thanks again sooo very much

battementboy

Extra! Extra clothes! You never know when something is going to break or tear or get lost or fall into a deep abyss somewhere never to be found again. I always carry an extra pair of ballet shoes, shirt and tights around with me. Just in case.

Also; a hairbrush. I like to carry one. A hairbrush and hair-spray. To keep my hair off of my face while I dance. It always inevitably falls back down during classes. It's not good to dance around with your hair in your face. Unless that is; you don't have hair...

One last thing; cologne! Deodorant does half the job, but during things like pas de deux; you don't just want to 'not smell bad,' you want to smell good! :)

Edited by battementboy

Mel Johnson

And not just deodorant, use an anti-perspirant deodorant. You don't want to be slippery for those pas de deux!

Kini

Any one remember the tennis ball to help roll out the occasional leg cramp?

Hans

I would actually say not to use cologne as it can cause problems for people with asthma or allergies. If it's too strongly scented, it can give anyone a headache! Perspiration increases the strength of colognes, body sprays, etc., so if you do wear any, use a minimal amount.

dennyland

Two things the others did not mention.  One, an extra set of keys with a tiny flashlight.  Two, a tube of Eucern lotion #6.  This stuff is so thick it protects the skin against abrasions from wet or ill fitting clothing articles (DB).