Ballet Talk for Dancers
DancerMai

Trying To Inprove my Strength and Flexibility in my Develope a la seco

DancerMai

I have been working on my develope for quite some time and was wondering if there were any pointers to inproving strength so that i am able to develop my leg high in the air without holding it and have it stay. I have had some hip injures and i also have hipper extention. I am not sure if that contributes to the struggle. I stretch daily on the barre and off the barre and i also use therabands and the flexistretcher. Any advice? I am getting ready to audition for companies and could use all the help i can get.

Victoria Leigh

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, DancerMai. :)

There is no magic formula for holding extensions, or for getting them higher that you have not learned already in years of classes, if you are at the level of auditioning for a company! The strength for holding extensions basically comes from holding extensions. However, again, these are things you should be doing in classes.

Hip injuries are usually from rotation problems, however they can also be caused by over-stretching. As far as hyperextension is concerned, the only way that would contribute to hip problems would be if you are allowing yourself to stand pushing into that hyperextension instead of totally lifting up out of it and controlling the standing leg or legs with correct alignment and weight placement.

DancerMai

I have been dancing for about 14 years now and i am 18. I am having an MRI and X Ray tomorrow for my hip but i am wondering if it could also be from someone trying to massage too hard. I get massaged every two weeks because i have a tendency to get very tight in my calves, lower back, and shoulders. The other day the person i usually have was not available so i had someone else that day. He was very very rough and did not know my body and what were my problem areas were. I have a feeling that could have contributed to the pain in my hip. Do you have any suggestions on exercises to strengthen to get my develope higher and to hold it there?

Victoria Leigh

Try this: Place your leg on the barre in croisé devant. Rise to demi pointe, lift your leg off the barre and hold it for a few counts, and then either bring it back to the barre or to retiré and close in 5th. Repeat with other leg. Then do in à la seconde with each leg. Only hold for about 4 or 5 seconds. That is enough. Try to make it lift from the barre by using the energy from an exhale and the muscles under the leg and not the quads. The quads are engaged, but don't pull the leg up with them.

DancerMai

Where should i lift from? My inner thighs, the tops of my legs or the bottoms of my legs? I have really tight hips when it comes to developing to the side is there any advice on how to loosen up my hips? i have tried stretching, pilates, yoga, epson salt baths, Everything and nothing seems to be helping.

Edited by DancerMai

Victoria Leigh

Mai, would you please retype that so that I can understand what you are saying? We do not use text message typing here on Ballet Talk for Dancers. Use upper case where needed, punctuation where needed, and check your wording so that it makes sense.

SwanLake13

In regards to the sore muscles: You may want to try takng Potassium supplements. It will help greatly with muscle strength and contractions so you don't get stiff, tight muscles or have muscle spasms/ cramps at random times during the day.

Victoria Leigh

SwanLake13, I know your intentions are good, but we do not give health advise here, especially anything involving a medication or a supplement.