Ballet Talk for Dancers
Clecle333

Hip pain :(

Clecle333

Hello everyone :) so im relatively new here and to ballet so forgive me if i ask a stupid question...

Whenever I developpe there is a weird sensation in my hip, on the side of my working leg. Its almost like rubber bands rubbing against a hard surface, it hurts if i really try and increase the height of my developpe. My hips also hurt when i do the second position straddle stretch, my straddle stretch sucks because i can't go down without pain in my hips, i don't even feel a stretch in my legs, the pain is stopping me from achieving a proper stretch.

is this normal? now i kinda just push through the pain, is that bad for me?

My ballet teacher said that it may be because I use the wrong muscles when i developpe and the muscles i'm suppose to use arn't strong enough yet....so how do i strengthen them?

Any advice would be appreciated! :)

Victoria Leigh

Clecle, if there is pain, not just the normal stretching feeling, but actual pain, then first stop doing what causes it, and secondly, see a doctor! It sounds like you have tight hips and hamstrings, and perhaps not a lot of natural rotation. Is that correct? Are you also a late starter? Are you always fully warmed up when trying to do stretches like splits? Are you allowing the leg to lift in a développé with the help of the hamstrings, not over-using the quads, and using a release of breath at the moment of unfolding? Is your alignment and weight placement correct?

Since you are in the 17-22 age category, it would help us to know how old your are, how long you have studied, and how many classes a week you take and how long are the classes?

Clecle333

wow thats a lot of questions haha :)

when you say natural rotation do u mean turn out? my turn out is actually pretty good (not to brag). I've done tae kwon do ever since i was a kid and i remember stretching my turn out religiously (it was my favorite stretch haha). Yes, i am a late starter. im 17 right now and i started at around 15-16. I only take one ballet class a week as part of my overall training (i also do contemporary, hip hop and Chinese). I'm not always fully warmed up but i do a couple jumps, Changements, plies, feet exercises etc. but i don't think thats enough...aahh yea thats what my teacher said too! that i'm relying on my quads too much and my hips are tilting...is that contributing to the pain?

Victoria Leigh

Clecle, first, I'm going to ask you to edit your own post. I already took out the quote of the previous post, which does not need to be there, but the problem is that we do not write in text message here on Ballet Talk for Dancers. Please remove things like "u", capitalize the beginning of sentences and any proper nouns, and add punctuation where needed.

As far as the pain you are feeling, you really have not had enough training in ballet to expect to do high développés. I don't think that your training has provided you with the knowledge of how to work correctly, starting with alignment, weight placement, and use of rotation. Having rotation and knowing HOW to use it are two different things. But you can't expect to start at 16 and do everything that dancers who have studied for years do, even if you do other forms of movement. Ballet works very different muscles than Tai Kwon Do, hip hop, contemporary, and Chinese. And you can't expect to get much knowledge of ballet in one class a week, much less the ability to execute the things you want to do.

Not being totally warmed up for stretching, especially now that you are full grown, is always going to hurt, and can cause injury. My guess is that you probably have not been taught exactly how to stretch correctly. Male dancers (you are male, right?), generally though not always, have much tighter hips than females, and have well developed quads and tight hamstrings, especially if they have been athletic. The hamstrings will need a lot of stretching, but those stretches MUST be done slowly and carefully and when warmed up!

If you really want to learn ballet, I suggest that you try to find a serious, pre-professional ballet school. Hopefully, you can take many more classes a week, and really begin to learn ballet!

Clecle333

Dear Victoria Leigh,

Firstly, I sincerely apologize for the inappropriate use of language in my previous post. I was unaware that this online forum had such strict regulations on language and grammar. Your message is duly noted and you should expect only proper English from my posts from now on.

Thank you for your concern about my knowledge and training in ballet. I fully understand the importance of technique and training and I do not expect to achieve high developpes within my one year of training. However, you have failed to answer my initial question and went off on a tangent regarding my skill, knowledge and attitude. Thus I shall reiterate, I have discomfort in my hips whilst performing developpes and the second position stretch. I admit that I rely on my quadriceps femoris muscle too much, often leading to tight thigh muscles, could this be the explanation for the discomfort I am feeling? If so, do you have any advice on how to strengthen the muscles needed for proper developpe and extensions.

lastly I resent your tone and assumption that I do not attend a "serious, pre-professional ballet school". For your information, I am in fact 'really' learning ballet. Just because I have little experience and do not major in ballet does not mean you can accurately make a judgment on my ability, attitude and university.

Thank you for the information you have provided me, and I hope my use of language, grammar and quotations are up to your standards.

Sincerely,

Clecle333

Victoria Leigh

Clecle, thank you for your response. I apologize for offending you, or your school. However, when you said one lesson a week, I had to question the training and expectations. You sound like a very intelligent young person, and I would hope that you would understand that my "rant" was not intended to be a rant. I feel very strongly that young adults starting ballet have the ability to learn very quickly, but that generally their bodies do not catch on as quickly as their brains! Stretching muscles that have not been worked in that way before takes a lot of time, and also a lot of knowledge in terms of how to do it well and correctly. I do not feel that you would have that knowledge or ability in such a short period of study, with one lesson per week.

However, I will try again, although I thought that I did answer your question. I cannot tell you, without seeing you and working with you, what is causing your pain. I can only tell you the basic things that can cause that kind of pain. Yes, tight quads, and over-use of the quads, without enough stretch in the hamstrings, could cause some of the pain. But it could also be tight hip flexors, or an alignment/weight placement problem.

There are some excellent informational posts about this on the Adult Students Forum, in the "Pinned" topics. Actually, I think you could also get a lot of help and information on the Adult Students board. Even though you are only 17, I think your questions might be answered quite well there, as there are many members who started late, and also quite a few very knowledgeable male members. (By the way, you didn't answer my question about that! I am assuming, from your first name, which as an Administrator I have access to, that you are male. Please correct me if I am wrong. If I am right, then be sure to also check out the Male Dancers forum!) :)

Clecle333

Thank you for your apology, I fully understand where you are coming from. I'm just not in the best of moods lately. I'll be sure to read the other forums for advice as well. If the pain still persists I will go and see a doctor.

and yes, I am a male :P

Thank You