Ballet Talk for Dancers
Dancer13

ISTD Standard 4 Exam

Dancer13

Hey Guys,

As you may have seen from the welcome forum, I'm new to ballet. Im 21 from the UK and taking my standard 4 exam with ISTD in June. I started ballet last September. We have to improvise as part of the exam to two pieces. One in 3/4 time and one in 4/4 time. Now although I've been told I'm a natural dancer, I'm not creative really at all! I have no idea how to improvise or what I am going to do! If anyone can help me then please write back or message me with inspiration!!

Thanks

Mikey

Victoria Leigh

Mikey, taking an exam so early in your training has to be rather daunting, but you must be quite exceptional in order to learn that much in one year! Don't worry about the improvisation, just spend some time in the the next two moths listening to music at home alone and allow yourself to start moving. I know that sounds overly simple, but it's really the only way to start. Let the music motivate your movement and stay within the vocabulary that you know at this time. Pay attention in classes to the music, too, and learn what kinds of movements are generally done with 3/4 and 4/4 time. Use different music, not the same all the time, but preferably classical music, and don't pre-set anything. Just move the way the music suggests and see what happens! And don't forget that it's not only about "steps". It's about the feeling of the music and how you like to move. Just stringing steps together is not what they will be looking for. :yes:

Dancer13

Thank you! So it doesn't have to be ballet steps then? It can any sort of free flowing movement?