Ballet Talk for Dancers
KatieRebecca

New at Ballet, Starting at age 19?

KatieRebecca

Hello Ballet Talk for Dancers community,

My name is Katie and I am a 19 year old university student in Ontario, Canada. As a young child, I took part in ballet classes and ballet has always been an interest of mine. I stopped dancing and have not done so for many years.

I have been thinking for years now to return to ballet. But it really feels as if I am starting anew. I have not danced in over a decade. I consider myself a complete beginner. I am finding myself so very tempted to take ballet classes again, but I was wondering- is it too late for me to start?

I would really appreciate advice from you amazing dancers here at BTFD. I am in University, just completed my first year. I go to school in the Guelph area although I am originally from the Hamilton area. I would like to take classes once to twice a week in the Hamilton area during my school year, and pick up the intensity over the summer breaks.

Basically- I am a deer in the headlights! If anyone has any advice on how to get started in ballet, I would really love to know.

Thank you so much everyone!

Katie.

Edited by KatieRebecca

Victoria Leigh

Katie, thank you for introducing yourself in the Welcome forum. I responded to your question about starting on that thread.

It will be like starting totally over, as the amount of training you would have had up to 9 years old, with a 10 year lapse, is probably quite negligible. Best to think of it as starting from the very beginning. But, it's never too late to start! Ballet can be started at almost any age, and enjoyed throughout your life as an excellent physical activity and, hopefully, a most enjoyable one! It's not easy, but if you are ready for a challenge, and you love the art of ballet, go for it!

I would like to say that, even though this forum says 17-22, it's really geared for the dancers who have been dancing all their lives at that age and are now looking at finding trainee, apprentice or company positions, or an excellent college program with a major in ballet. Since you are 19 and just starting, I think the Adult Ballet Students Forum would probably be where you will find the most help and many dancers who are in a similar situation. :)

KatieRebecca

Thank you so much for all of your helpful advice Victoria! I will go on to post in the Adult Ballet section. :)

Katie