Ballet Talk for Dancers
Ballet Bunnie

Taking time off before an SI

Ballet Bunnie

I wonder what the moderator think of my plan:

I haven't been able to get any longer breaks since the beginning of the school year because I was dancing in my college, as well as a pre-pro school. These two programs have very different schedules so on some days, I will have less dancing than the others, but I had much less days completely off from ballet compared to people in either of them. I usually dance 6 days a week. All breaks that I have so far are 4 days off during Thanksgiving, and a week after Christmas.

Now my college school year is over, a teacher suggested me to take some time off dance, so my body can get a break. She thought that dancing so much with no break put my body at risk of injury, especially when I will be dancing a lot in SIs. Her suggestion was to take 2-3 weeks off, and get back into shape before SI.

So, I realized that if I take 2-3 weeks off starting next week, that would only give me 3 more weeks to whip myself back into shape for SI. So, is it a good idea for me to take some time off? Is 3 weeks too long? I am worried that I would not be back in shape for SI...

Many thanks!

Victoria Leigh

I would suggest two weeks, not three. If there is more time off after the SI, you might take only one week now, but if not, take the two.

Ballet Bunnie

Thanks, Ms. Leigh! I do have another week in between of the two programs. 2 one week breaks would sounds much less nerve racking than one long break!

dancemaven

Oops! A parent wandered into the YD Forum by mistake and a post was removed.

Please do feel free to post your question on the appropriate Parents Forum :wink: