Ballet Talk for Dancers
annuhz

College Help!

annuhz

So I am 17 and going to be a Senior in high school. I need helping decide which college is best for ballet as well as academics. I study ballet intensively and wish to go professional. However, I am in the International Baccalaureate program and I wish to pursue academics also. I am looking for a college mainly on the east coast since I live in Florida. Are there any colleges in New York that have great ballet BFA programs with excellent training? Are there any colleges that have connections to ballet companies? such as Alonzo Lines and the Dominican Univerisity of California. I am aware that many colleges nowadays are modern based, but I am trying to repel from that. What other colleges are there in New York that are great for ballet besides SUNY Purchase and NYU? Please help!

Mel Johnson

We're not going to make a list for you; these are questions you should be asking at your high school Guidance Department. In addition consult the forum on this board intended for college ballet students. Ballet Talk will not compare programs for you.

Victoria Leigh

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, annuhz. :)

It's true that we don't compare programs, but we do have a lot of information on all of the major college dance programs. You will find them in our Career and Higher Education forum. SUNY Purchase and NYU you already know about, in terms of NY. Also check out Adelphi. I would suggest that you also look into Indiana University and Butler, which I know are not east coast, but they are very strong ballet programs. There are a lot of other good programs around the country, so I would not limit yourself to east coast if I were you.