Ballet Talk for Dancers
Thyme

Ballet schools in Australia - Newcastle NSW

Thyme

hi everyone! wondering if anybody can offer advice or suggestions on good quality dance (ballet) schools in Newcastle. There are a huge number of studios and just as many opinions on what is good and what is terrible. We want a good ballet school which can help prepare 'us' for a possible career. thanks in advance!

Redbookish

I don't know who's taken over, but I grew up in Newcastle, and the ballet schools which had serious full-time programmes were Tessa Maunder's studio, and Marie Walton Mahon. Unfortunately, the other top teacher in the area, Edward (Ted) Miller has retired (we studied with him, and my sister subsequently went on to a very successful professional career in ballet).

Miss Maunder trained Lisa Croker (Pavane) and many, many others. It's an extraordinary track record. Miss Mahon's studio developed after my time, and I think she's also trained many many of the nation's best dancers. And the best Australian dancers are amongst the best in the world.

There's an excellent dance culture in Newcastle, although it does revolve around Eisteddfodds. But these -- despite a rather unfortunate competition aspect -- do give good stage performance experience.

Thyme

thanks Redbookish- yes those are certainly the big names around here. We have had teachers who studed with Tessa M and her name remains a gold standard in Newcastle. I would be interested to hear what people think of Marie Walton's studio (she sold it a couple years ago) as that is one place we consider. And yes Eisteddfodds remain a huge industry!

pastel3

probably too late for Thyme, but this info may help people searching the forum.

Marie Walton-Mahon's studio is excellent quality training, though much more contemporary focus now the new director has taken over.

Newcastle Ballet Theatre, is a new classical school in Newcastle with teachers who are ex dancers from USA. Lovely atmosphere and top level training.

Dance supporter

Hi, is anyone interested in updating this forum? What the current experiences of dancers and their parents with schools in Newcastle?

Guest Blossoming ballerina

I would still consider Newcastle ballet theatre to be an excellent school. Wonderful principals. And a mostly great faculty.

We have been at this school from its beginnings.

There are several good schools in the Newcastle area. National college of dance has a full time program, although it was said previously that it was more contemporary. I would beg to differ. It's a definite split between the 2 genres.

These would be my 2 best picks from the Newcastle area.

Thyme

Boy! There has been alot of water under the bridge since I started this thread over 2 years ago. We no longer live in Newcastle but I can tell you that I agree with the previous posters regarding Newcastle Ballet Theatre. Great teaching and a lovely dance community. The families are extremely supportive of each other and the children are happy. I can't comment on the other studios so I suggest that you search and visit the larger studios to form your own opinion. I know that NBT has a healthy group of young dancers around the age of your dancer, boys and girls so that partnering is taught regularly as are variations.

Guest Blossoming ballerina

Hi everyone.

Has anyone had anything to do with national college of dance Newcastle nsw.

It's a school we are looking at.

Pm me if you'd rather.

dancemaven

We really ask that members be willing to share information on the open Board. Otherwise, it doesn't really benefit everyone, just a very few, which is not the purpose of this Board Community. :thumbsup: