Ballet Talk for Dancers
Ballet Bunnie

Terminology Question: Sur le __?

Ballet Bunnie

In my summer intensive today, a teacher was talking about this sur le __ position that "often has been neglected in ballet nowadays". It's the first time I have ever heard of that terminology, and it's lower than the sur le cou-de-pied position, with insteps touching the supporting leg heel (on releve). I couldn't write it down at the moment as she was mentioning it, but when I tried to write it down after the class, I couldn't remember it anymore. Can someone here help me? Thanks!

Victoria Leigh

I can't think of anything except sur le cou de pied derrière, which comes close to what you described. :shrug:

Ballet Bunnie

Thanks, Ms. Leigh! It's not sur le cou-de-pied, because she said it is a little lower than sur le cou-de-pied. I think it is a 2 syllable word, starting with either t or k or d, and sounds like there's a "u" sound in it... I have never heard of it before... But perhaps I can ask her again next time I have her.

Victoria Leigh

Okay, I think you will need to do that, Bunnie. I don't have a clue what she is referring to.

Ballet Bunnie

Thanks again, Ms. Leigh! I am ashamed for not remembering what that position is called after discussing it for so long during class. But I will update here when I find out what it is called exactly!

Mel Johnson

Sounds like the old cou de pied position, which actually engaged the instep rather than the ankle. The working foot was relaxed, with the ball of the foot on the floor.

Ballet Bunnie

Ha! I found it out today. I heard it wrong. It's not "sur le", but "sus le talou" and "sous le talou"!

Edited: Oops misspelled. It should be "sus le talon" and "sous le talon"

Edited by Ballet Bunnie

Hans

"Talou" doesn't mean anything in French--are you sure it's not "talon", which would mean "heel"?

Ballet Bunnie

Oh, yeah, I meant talon! Thanks, Hans!

Ballet Bunnie

I have another question regarding terminology that's somewhat related to sus/sous le talon position -- what's the difference between a petit battement sus/sous le talon vs. battement seree?

Ballet Bunnie

bump bump! :whistling::wub:

vrsfanatic

I am sorry Ballet Bunnie, I am not familiar with this terminology.

Victoria Leigh

Nor am I, Bunnie. :shrug:

Ballet Bunnie

Thanks, vrsfanatic and Ms. Leigh! What about just normal petit battement vs. battement seree? I've seen different teachers calling different movement the same thing, but I am confused about the difference... Thanks again!

Victoria Leigh

Petit battement are little beats around the ankle, as in back and front. Battement serré, or petit battement serré, which means tight or close, are the little beats that hit in one place, usually on the inside of the ankle in front, and are sort of like a vibrator type beat, rather than a measured beat like the ones done back/front. In choreography you will see Odette execute petit battement serré near the end of the Act II Pas de Deux.