Ballet Talk for Dancers
JoshuaThomas86

Why not white tights?

JoshuaThomas86

Hi, just a quick question regarding tights. I'm a 26 year old guy who just joined adult classes. I picked up black, gray and white tights, but I've read online from a few people that you should not wear white tights in class for some reason. I've read claims that they are see-through but the pair I have isn't. I can't return them, so I'm kind of hoping that it's OK to wear them... is there some other reason that white tights aren't worn in class?

Victoria Leigh

Joshua, I moved your topic here to the Men's Forum, as that is really a question for our male faculty and students. :)

GTLS Designs

There is no official rule against wearing white tights in ballet class - so you can go ahead an wear them. When you sweat, white tights will become a bit see-thru (some brands more than others). Also, make sure to wear a 'nude' colored dancebelt - a white or black dancebelt will surely show through, and is poor form.

In general, white tights are for performances. They are the most revealing in terms of classical line, musculature, and well... they show every dimple & wrinkle. While I don't think that men are hiding from these details, I don't think that most men want to have to confront these details on a daily basis. Also, in my opinion, no matter how much I weight, I feel like white tights add 5 - 10lbs onto my frame.... Maybe it is just how much I do not enjoy wearing white tights?!?

If you really feel like white tights wont work for you, or your school doesn't like them in ballet class, you can easily dye most tights with RIT Dye. Follow the instructions on the box - it usually works out okay.

Mel Johnson

And upkeep on white tights is a royal pain if you wear them frequently. They will soon go "tattletale grey" and have to be dyed anyway.

silvergreydancer

JT,

Some school require white. If you like wearing white, do it. I have worn white in class. Although the purest will say white is for performance only. I find it's a nice change from black and grey and can look quite nice with a brightly colored tee. Mel is correct, they are more upkeep. Of course, you need white shoes.

MJ

White tights will get dirty. my white performance tights have dirty feet, cleaning does not help. It is a pain when you suddenly have to perform and cannot find a good pair of white tights.

leopard dancer

I have worn white tights to class. It is no big deal. Just follow what the other posters have said. I do agree they are hard to clean after they are worn especially the feet if you wear footed tights. If you want to wear them, go for it unless it is against the dress code. Most studios have a relaxed dress code for adult classes so anything usually goes. Since you bought them, go ahead and wear them to class.

Rick

If your ballet school allows white tights in the studio and you have the confidence to wear them, I say go for it! I think they look great. Most guys probably wouldn't opt for them, though, because as the old saying goes, "white reveals, black conceals." As the others pointed out, besides showcasing your "physique" more than black tights, white tights tend to show soiling and perspiration marks much more clearly than black ones do. If you do go with white tights, I'd suggest going with white slippers as well. Black slippers might look a bit out of place.

Edited by Rick

makuru

I agree with the other posters--if white is what the teacher/class/studio want--go ahead. I would avoid wearing a white dance belt with white tights. Because of your skin tone, you'll often see the dance belt beneath the tights. A common practice when wearing white tights is to wear a "natural" or "nude" colored dance belt. Good luck!

leopard dancer

A lot of studios do not have a specified dress code for adult students. In my studio, it is pretty much anything goes that you feel comfortable in wearing and the teacher approves. White tights are not a big deal. My personal experience is very favorable and my white tights were a better fit and comfort than my other tights when I wore them to class. I say if they work for you and they are allowed in class, go for it.

Edited by leopard dancer

AndrewUK

Think about all has been said above, they are a nightmare to get clean, never worn for a class only a show we did back in October, even after using a brand new pair for just one show and trying to get them "looking clean white" again, don't think can be done not to look as new look anyway ! They do show sweat patches for sure, not sure if you can see them from audience point though and seem to pick up any dirt you brush against

Like has been said think all depends on what is "acceptable" in your class situation, think I would and stay away from wearing in class, as you will never get them total "white" again, and with that start to look "unclean" even though they have been laundered.

I would put them away just in case you need at a later date and go with your black and grey for classes

dansair

Personally, I would never wear whites to class. You only need to go down once - and you'll instantaneously turn into a zebra. It's kinda magic!

dennyland

At 26 and just starting maybe you are not in peak condition.  Put those White tights in a place you can see them as inspiration for when you will look really good in them. 

After pondering this post a few days I gave my own white tights a try. I was horrified!  These are Capezio.  Super thin and completely see-thru!  I purchased them on-sale about a year ago but don't remember looking like this in them.  YIKES, I need to take my own advice.

Edited by dennyland
soften the original post