Ballet Talk for Dancers
pj

Bolshoi Ballet Academy--Moscow, Russia

txmomof6

Without a doubt, it was a life changing year for our daughter. Seeing how the rest of the world views America was very humbling for her. She's passed her language exam and qualified as bilingual. Can other students benefit from this program? Certainly. Can those same students have the same or better experiences staying in the States? Certainly. We don't regret letting her go. She went in eyes wide open, and even then struggled with the harsh realities of life at the academy so far from home. Speaking to parents, I feel it's important for you to have a clear picture of what it's like at the famous academy. They certainly turn out some top notch dancers...and we're seeing how great the cost.

mamabear7

Hi txmomof6:) I read your dd's blog and forwarded onto my dd. I found her writing to be engaging, a fair representative of life there and a great read. Thanks for sharing!

learningdance

Thanks for pulling back the curtain in Oz Txmomof6. . . They do create amazing dancers. I like the way that your DD's blog really highlights how culture impacts training and how pervasive it really is.

Mdballetmom

This was certainly interesting reading. And you've 100% convinced me that this is NOT a place I would ever consider sending my daughter. My DD will have to live without the "enhanced" resume.

sissi

Hello,

my 16 DD has been accepted at Bolshoi and most likely she will leave after the summer. She is currently at SFBallet and a twin. So it is a big choice for her. Out of pure luck, I have traveled in 65 countries in the world, but only been to St Petersburg ( at the Gorbaciov times) and *never* to Moscow. My daughter used to do a lot of rhythmic gymnastic and she is sort of used to the 'Russian' style, but still we have many questions.

The director told us that they would like to place her in the Russian program directly, but they have not told us at which level. They told us that the determining factor is her ability to speak Russian. Her Russian is very basic ( can understand basic class instructions, but that is it).

Does anybody know how many levels there are? And where one should be expected to be put as a 16 yo.

Also - I'd like to get in touch with other families who are over there. Does anybody know how to find them? We are half American and half French and Italian. There are some interesting comments about not identifying yourself as american and was wondering if anybody knows if she should enter as a French or Italian student.

If you have any experience I would love to know!

wannabe

I hope your DD thinks carefully about her training choices. My DD went to Russia to train ( not Bolshoi) at age 17. After one year of study she was offered a trainee spot at SFB which she happily accepted. There's more to the studying at a famous Russuan school than the prestige of being accepted there. Think about it carefully

sissi

My DD has been with SFB since preballet. she and her sister are the one with the longest tenure at the school. Would love to hear more on what is behind the comment: "Think about carefully". Although I am European, we live in SF and the route to Russia is long. I personally am OK with the harder training, but I would hate if she was to find herself in a sour and rotten environment. At SFB the kids are lovely, very supportive of each other. They dance, go out of icecream, go to the movie...

meatball77

Read the rest of the posts on this thread. It gives you a good idea as to what the culture is like there.

txmomof6

sissi, I had meant to reply to your inquiries last month, but life got in the way. I am so sorry. I had some good stuff to say haha. Where is your d now? Did you decide to send her to the Bolshoi academy?

Sickeledfeet

I too would love to hear more.

learningdance

This was certainly interesting reading. And you've 100% convinced me that this is NOT a place I would ever consider sending my daughter. My DD will have to live without the "enhanced" resume.

Yes. Me too. Each child is different but I don't share the same values as the Russian system and so I know that it would not be a placement for my DD.

mom2ballerina

Is it possible to go and "train" in Moscow at Bolshoi during the school year for a month or so based off of an audition tape and/or letter of recommendation? We are not interested in the year round program.  We have friends that live in Moscow and would like to take advantage of their generous offer of hospitality.