Ballet Talk for Dancers
kr12

DD dance bag

kr12

What is your limit of what you will spend on a dance bag for your DD? My DD has decided her Nike duffle bag is no longer cool and wants a "brand name" bag to use as a dance bag. A lot of students at her studios still have "kid bags" and the older ones carry mostly Vera Bradly or a LeSportsac.

What type of bag do you DDs carry? Is it worth it to splurge on a dance bag only to have it lay on a dirty floor all night?

balletsky

My DD still has the same dance bag that I bought her when she turned 6. At that time I purchased her a Blocke large bag. I bought it because it would last years to come because of its color and style. She is almost 12 now.

Momof3darlings

You might want to visit this prior discussion: Quality Dance Bags

tutu2you

We tended to buy a new bag every 3-4 years, but never paid more than $30 for one. She usually received it as a Christmas present. With changing every few years, we were able to keep up with her growth, need for expanded room, maturity in style, etc. We found a really good one from NYC Ballet that lasted a very long time.

She now seems to throw everything in a large backpack or some other tote that she is used to carrying that accomodates all the other items she carries around like textbooks, clothing for overnight trips, etc.

buzzandmoo

Vera Bradley, large colorful and VERY washable! LOL

dkd

I think it depends on your level of thriftiness how much you spend. I am frugal and would never buy a Vera Bradley bag-haha! Though the washability is a good factor.

$25 or so would be a good price range for me. (my dd is current using a duffle bag that my work place gave us as a gift a few years ago).

dancingjet

I wouldn't buy a VB bag either as a matter of course, though I could see something more pricey like that going on to a Christmas or birthday wish list; it's a lot of money to spend on something that isn't all that timeless. DD has several bags she uses for dance; most were made for her over the years by her grandmother. As DD's needs changed, the bags changed (and got larger). She isn't all that particular about what bag she carries, so long as it can hold what she needs it to. Over the summer she was carrying a huge bag because she needed pointe, flat and character shoes; character skirt; warm-ups for stretch class; lunch and water bottle; etc. When she knows she doesn't need much she might just grab a tote bag. If the issue is style vs. functionality then I think each family needs to decide what they're willing to spend money on.

buzzandmoo

Surprisingly enough, Vera Bradley on sale (at their site or at a store) averages about $25 :nixweiss: , and if you are SUPER thrifty like me, on consignment; even cheaper!

MamatoMary

DD has a Vera Bradley dance bag that we got fairly cheap because (1) it was already on the retirement sale list and then (2) we had a store coupon for 30 percent off anything in the store during her birthday month. That was 2-3 years ago and it still looks new. They are extremely durable and I personally would rather pay $50 for one bag that lasts for several years than $25 for a new bag every year or two.

dancingjet

I'd always thought totes of an appropriate size would easily range $60-$80, but it sounds like deals can be had. :) Maybe I wish I didn't know this now... ;)

NikkisMamma

Won't really help the majority of people but I make DDs dance bag(s). She used her "little kid" one up until last year when I made her a new one for her Bday. I took careful consideration to what needed to be in it and created different compartments and pockets for all the various shoes and other smaller dance paraphenalia. It's quite big, and in hindsight maybe *too* big because she now carries tons of stuff with her (like who needs to bring 6pairs of booty shorts every time..? 5 leos? All her ballet shoes? Apparently my kid....). I try to encourage her to leave some of her stuff in her locker, like her tap shoes that take up a lot of room but it's a work in progress. I think if the bag was a bit smaller, she would have to consolidate her stuff more and I might not find 4 half empty water bottles in it...

Dance mom of K and J

My 7 year-old is carrying a Bloch backpack this year that we found in a local dance store. My 11 year-old does have a Vera Bradley small tote that she received from us as a Christmas gift almost 2 years ago. She loves the size of it and it has proven to be very durable. We also noticed when she went to her 1 SI audition last year, all of the girls had Vera Bradley, you would think they were a dance sponsor or something. ;)

tldx

I think that it is worth the money to get a durable bag that suits the student's needs. If you get 5 years out of an $80 bag, it was a better deal than a less expensive option that has to be replaced every year.

My daughter has had the same bag since she was 5. We chose it because it wasn't too "little kid-ish", and she still likes it. The best part is that I got it at Target for $24 and it still looks brand new. For this year though, she needed a bag that would fold up small enough to fit in her backpack during school, so I got her an Under Armour sack pack (<$13) and she loves it. It only has one main compartment, but it is large enough to hold everything she could possibly need and folds down to nothing to fit in a pocket. We were even able to find one in light pink.

(Maybe it's because of our region, but we see a lot more UA at ballet than we do Vera Bradley.)

avasmom

My DD carries a huge sturdy Jansport bag that we got for a song at TJ Maxx! Although I have to say that when she did her first SI this summer we had to spend additional $$ on a wheelie bag for the back and forth - something to consider. There are some cute wheelie bags out there and they save our daughter's lovely shoulders, especially during rehearsals and times when they are schlepping stuff around all day :)

Albini

We have brand new dance bags with our studios name on them, $25. They are huge and look beautiful. Thats my limit.