Ballet Talk for Dancers
ascballerina

Temps

ascballerina

Temps leve

Temps lie

Temps de courante

Temps de cuisse...

My understanding of "temps" is that it means "time". Does it have another meaning, or perhaps a historical context I'm not familiar with? Because while "time lifted" sounds ok, and like it might mean something, "time of thigh" sounds a little odd. Not all of these are in the same category of steps, either; there are adage movements, jumps, etc, that all begin with "temps"....

(hope I put this in the right place; I don't know if it's actually a history question or not)

Hans

Mr. Johnson posted an explanation of how steps were composed in the very early 19th century, but I cannot find it now. I believe one part of it was that a "pas" is composed of two "temps", with the implication being that a "temps" is simpler than a "pas". I don't know if I'm remembering that correctly or not, though.

One thing to keep in mind is that "temps" can also mean "tempo", so a "temps d'adage" refers to a musical tempo rather than a ballet step.

I've never heard of "temps de courante" before--what is that?

ascballerina

Thanks for trying, Hans!

Temps de courante is found in the Cecchetti Advanced 1 (and perhaps the Advanced 2, not sure). I had thought it was a step, but checking in Ryman's dictionary, it seems that temps de courante is an entire adage, one of Cecchetti's Tuesday exercises. (I've only ever watched the Advanced 1, never done it, and I had thought that perhaps it was just a step I didn't know.) Sorry for the confusion!

Hans

No problem! I know of "courante" as a musical term, so that makes sense. :)

vrsfanatic

Just a guess, but does courante have anything to do with running? I will go look in my French dictionary.