Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
buzzandmoo

Have a "dance mom" sort of question.....

buzzandmoo

So my 11 yr old DD attends a pre-pro school and has just started her 4th year. This is the year they start pointe and in the past there have been no new students to the school in this level. This year a new girl started in her level. I encouraged my DD to approach the new girl with a couple of her friends and make nice. The school can be a little intimidating to the uninitiated and I myself approached the mom to welcome her. We have a few things in common; younger children, similar commutes etc. While making small talk, I asked where her DD had studied before coming to our pre-pro (seeing that we live in the same county I figured we might have friends in common) and got a vague-ish answer. No biggie, just being nice. My daughter mentioned that the new girl was very shy but very good, and she asked me where she studied before, so we looked up the studio on the web. It appears that she belonged (and possibly still does) to a competition dance team and won lots of awards.

So here's my question to parents of competition dancers.....Is there a reason they are keeping this info to themselves? At our school everyone talks about studios they have attended. There is no shame in competition, in fact a few of the principals in the professional company attached to the school started their dance careers in competition studios. Is this consequence of the show "Dance Moms"? Or is the social atmosphere in competition studios different? Would I be committing a social no-no to ask the mom? Can you tell I have stuck my foot in my mouth in the past? LOL

Thanks in advance!

Bunhead Mama

Occasionally there is some stigma attached to being trained at a competition studio once one enters the pre pro world. There may be many reasons why this mom wants to keep it mum. Perhaps she has been treated harshly in the past over her studio or maybe her daughter is dancing at both schools currently. Maybe she is just the type to keep to herself. I honestly think no harm done. You asked to be friendly and I would just keep up being outgoing and welcoming. Hopefully she will come around.

34ballet

Hmmm...I think there could be several reasons why the mom has chosen not to be as forthcoming. There can be a stigma associated with competition schools that she doesn not want to follow her daughter to the new pre-pro school. It's hard enough to be the new girl, without the added competition school stigma. Or, the mother could be like me -- I feel a little uncomfortable 'oversharing' with people that I've just met. She may offer more information as she gets to know you better, or she may not. But, I wouldn't ask again.

buzzandmoo

Thank you....my instincts have kept my curiosity at bay. Our pre-pro is scary enough without me adding to it! LOL I appreciate the competition world insight, my only experience in the dance world is my DD's school and as time goes by I realize it is a pretty cloistered existence. Trust me, I do not take the show "Dance Moms" as reality!

HuckleberryDawg

It's possible that she left her old studio after a disagreement or on some other "less than perfect" terms and doesn't want to appear to trash the old studio. Our last studio was not a good fit for us (although it's an excellent studio with many terrific dancers); at our new studio I almost never mention where we left because it invites the "why" questions and I don't want to say anything derogatory about the old studio. This may not be why she is reticent; but it's another possibility.

Mousling

Most people are being genuinely friendly as I am sure you were, but there is a fine line between that and nosy and most new people may err on the side of caution.

kr12

Does it really matter? Maybe she felt intimidated and that people would judge her daughter. People have a variety of reasons for moving to different schools. Her daughter was good enough to get into the class.

It was very good to encourage your daughter to be friendly to the new student. I am sure both her and her mother appreciate it! We were the new family last year and it was nice to make new friends.