Ballet Talk for Dancers
dancetillyoudrop

Russian ballet?

dancetillyoudrop

A quick question: Keenan Kampa and Joy Womack both mentioned troubles getting into the Mariinsky ballet and Bolshoi ballet. In fact, I even read that foreigners were forbidden to enter the Bolshoi by law, and that Joy had to marry a Russian citizen to get in? I'm so confused. I never knew that!

Is this true? Does Russian law forbid foreigners into these companies? It doesn't seem David Hallberg had any issues getting into Bolshoi. And Kampa simply stated that it was difficult to get a work visa - not impossible. Is it just Bolshoi?

Does anyone have any information on this?

Guest The Lilac Fairy

Check your Joy Womack thread I answered there.

Janneke

I would imagine it's the visa issue. Perhaps companies feel they can justify buying a visa to import a big star like David Hallberg, but not so much for a corps member. After all, there's a huge pool of suitable corps dancers coming out of the Russian schools every year without visa problems.

Where I come from, if a company wants to hire someone without a visa (and sponsor that person's visa) then they have to prove that they couldn't fill the vacancy from inside our "visa zone". It's usually not considered worthwhile to do that for a low paid worker.

ballerina1255

Know she did not have to get married!! She was just extremely talented.

Victoria Leigh

And you know this how?

Marisela87
On 10/30/2012 at 5:45 PM, dancetillyoudrop said:

A quick question: Keenan Kampa and Joy Womack both mentioned troubles getting into the Mariinsky ballet and Bolshoi ballet. In fact, I even read that foreigners were forbidden to enter the Bolshoi by law, and that Joy had to marry a Russian citizen to get in? I'm so confused. I never knew that!

Is this true? Does Russian law forbid foreigners into these companies? It doesn't seem David Hallberg had any issues getting into Bolshoi. And Kampa simply stated that it was difficult to get a work visa - not impossible. Is it just Bolshoi?

Does anyone have any information on this?

No. It is not forbidden. Enter if you have a talent.

Doubleturn

There is an English boy, Oscar Frame who started his training in UK, spent time at Kirov in his teens and after a false start with further European training ended up in the Vaganova Academy in the class of the Director Nikolai Tsiskaridze.  On graduation he was offered contracts by both the Bolshoi and Mariinsky companies.  He accepted the Bolshoi and although only in his first year professionally, has already danced the Bluebird in Sleeping Beauty as a replacement for an injured dancer.  Never any question that foreigners were not eligible for contracts.

vrsfanatic

Times have changed for employment in the Russian State ballet companies because the laws have changed. It is no longer a problem for a non-Russian to receive a contract with Mariinsky or Bolshoi. There have been international dancers with full time contracts for years. Talent is of course is important.