Ballet Talk for Dancers
  • Announcements

• Helene

2018 Joint Fundraiser for Ballet Talk for Dancers and Ballet Alert!   02/03/2018

We have launched our 2018 Fundraiser.  To donate, please see the instructions on our home page for checks (US dollars only) and credit card donations via PayPal.  We close the fundraiser as soon as we raise enough to sustain us for the next year, and we thank you for your support!
Ballet Bunnie

Relaxing the hip flexors

Ballet Bunnie

Hi, moderators!

I have been trying really hard for quite a while to not not cramp up my hip flexors in slower leg extension movements front and side. I am frequently being told that I need to not use my hip flexors as much, but they always want to do more work than they need to. I have talked to multiple teachers about this, and theoretically know that overusing the hip flexors will prohibit the legs moving freely at the end ranges, and will not allow the energy to extend further. And I don't cramp them in faster movements like grand battement. But, somehow my hip flexors just don't want to "relax" in steps like relevé lent... Even in floor barre and conditioning classes, I have been told that I grip them too much.

In terms exercises, I have tried doing floor barre (yes, I still grip them), hip flexor stretches, and doing developpé in a pool (gripping comes back when I try to lift the leg higher than the surface of water). What should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Clara 76

Rotate, rotate, rotate!!!!!!!!!! It sounds as though your body has not yet found rotation,.......

ascballerina

Does this translate in layperson's terms into "lifting the hip"?

Ballet Bunnie

Thank you Clara! I know that the hamstring should be the one that's doing the most work (or energy coming out from underneath the thighs, lengthening), but my hip flexor really really don't want to relax. My teacher even did a test on me, with me lying on the floor and my legs perpendicular to the floor against the wall, they still grip, no matter they are turned-in or turned-out. I really want to make this correction out of the way, but I don't know what I should do.... :unsure::crying:

ascballerina: If the "lifting the hip" you hear is the same as the ones that I have heard before, then, no... :dizzy:

ascballerina

The jazz/modern teacher is the one who's really on my back about it, although I've noticed I do it in ballet, too. She told me to sit in a straddle with a pillow under me to get my hips into the correct position, so I could feel it and get used to it on the floor, and then transfer it to actually moving. I'm still confused as to how it actually all works. :wallbash:

Clara 76

Ok. I think we need to stop thinking about relaxing the hip flexors, instead focusing on utilizing them all, correctly. The hip flexors are responsible for bringing your knee towards your chest, and I suspect you have some core weakness combined with not enough rotation causing some of the hip flexors to overwork.

It's time for a few exercises:

http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=53605

ascballerina

Are you talking to me or to Ballet Bunnie, Clara? (we're both in need of help) I'm guessing Ballet Bunnie.... :wacko:

Clara 76

Both of you :wink:

Ballet Bunnie

Thank you. Clara! I love the naming of "The Major Chord" exercise! Now time to find out which chord(s) I will be singing for this exercise! Bahaha

Sorry ascballerina, I didn't mean to ignore you. I just didn't know what you were talking about...

ascballerina

Thanks, Clara, and Bunnie, it's ok, I didn't feel ignored. :)