Ballet Talk for Dancers
lifeisgood987

Ballet Schools in Texas - Southwest Houston

momster

Ballet Forte would probably be closest. We have seen some productions which I found very enjoyable, but daughter feels technique is lacking.

If DD is tall, another reason to check out Margo Marshall is that Mary Beth is tall too and my DD has found that very encouraging.

We just graduated a girl 6'0' so they are well used to height differences.

slhogan

Okay, so if we were to make a list of Houston-area ballet schools which are known for turning out successful ballet dancers, here is what I have (in alphabetical order). Any that I missed?

Allegro West Academy of Dance (Katy/West Houston)

Ballet Center of Houston (Copperfield)

Fort Bend Academy of Dance (Sugar Land/Richmond)

Houston Ballet (Downtown)

International Ballet of Houston (Spring/North Houston)

Margo Marshall School of Ballet (Spring Branch/Memorial)

Payne Academy of Performing Arts (Woodlands)

Royal Academy of Fine Arts (Webster/Clear Lake)

AJWMom

Since you added the Woodlands you may want to add Rowland/ Ballard, Kingwood, TX (PrePro Company Kingwood Dance Theatre).

Elizabeth71

lifeisgood987, may I ask what you decided? I am in a similar position with my daughter and looking at the same schools mentioned but am also close to Sugarland. Any advice on any or all of studios you tried would be SO helpful...thank you!

slhogan

To the list above, I would add a new school-- Vitacca (in Central Houston). They haven't been around long enough for me to know if they turn out successful dancers. However, their teaching staff has impeccable credentials and I've been very impressed with what I've seen. Especially if the student leans towards the contemporary side of ballet.

Elizabeth71

I just moved to Sugar Land and looking for a studio for my daughter. Any reviews on Fort Bend Academy of Dance / Ballet Forte?

I think I posted a follow-up question to your post incorrectly so I am trying this way:) May I ask what you decided or found out about the ballet schools you were considering? I am in a similar position. Thank you!

slhogan

Elizabeth71, when I look at the profile for Lifeisgood987, it says she hasn't logged on to this message board since July 31, 2013. She probably won't see your question. Sorry!

We'd love to help you on your journey to find a Sugar Land area school for your daughter. How old is your daughter? What schools have you looked at so far?

Ecourtney

I see that Royal Academy of Fine Arts closed suddenly. Does anyone in the area know why?

khamade

My daughter attended the summer intensive at RAFA for the past two years and I emailed them to inquire about dates a month or so ago. I was told that they were unable to reopen after the hurricane.  I don't know where their faculty, including Kathryn Morgan, went.  

slhogan

How odd! I haven't heard anything about it, and they were posting on Facebook and Instagram on May 11. But their website isn't operating and Google maps says they've closed.