Ballet Talk for Dancers
moostachiojoe

Ballet Schools in Australia - Sydney

Redbookish

It's not a problem to mention specific schools, as this is what the original poster is asking for. And thanks to everyone who offered information! That's the great thing about BT4D.

We do ask that detailed evaluations of the quality of training come from first hand sources, not gossip or hearsay. Of course, the general comments in this thread about the general reputation of specific schools are OK as well.

Miss Persistent

Northern Beaches is a bit out of my area of specific knowledge, but I'm sure there would be some schools there which would offer good RAD training. If you find a school you think might be ok let us know any I'm sure people would be happy to share their knowledge or experiences about it.

Clutterbug

Hello moostachiojoe, it's great that you are thinking about potential options now. You mentioned that you were planning on starting a full time course in 2015 when you would be going into year 11. It's worthwhile thinking about the academic options especially if you (and /or your family) decide you do not want to do homeschooling.

Although we do not live in Sydney, last year we went through all the pros and cons of various options of trying to combine both full time pre-pro dance and finishing high school for my DD. For various reasons we decided against home schooling and could only find three schools in Australia where you attend regular high school and receive pre-professional dance training. They are all state or nationally funded and are The Australian Ballet School http://www.australianballetschool.com.au/ ; The Victorian College of the Arts http://www.vcass.vic.edu.au/ and The Queensland Dance School of Excellence https://kelvingrovesc.eq.edu.au/Curriculum/Excellenceprograms/Pages/Queensland-Dance-School-of-Excellence.aspx

At both VCASS and QDSE you have the opportunity to gain a high school qualification that qualifies you for higher education (University) entrance as well as a diploma of dance.

QDSE has a ballet stream and a dance stream and they have a number of students who board with families because they are either from interstate or live too far from Brisbane to travel on a daily basis. QDSE also offers scholarships.

It is also worth looking into the cost associated with full time pre pro training and education, as well as the cost of boarding if you are considering this as an option.

moostachiojoe

Thanks clutterbug, I was thinking about online schooling as I thought it might be easier to manage than boarding interstate, however I will do some more research on the schools you mentioned and keep those options open as well :)

pastel3

hi moostachiojoe,

just checking through this forum and came across your post. My dd is at Newcastle Ballet Theatre, yes, it is new and excellent tuition. I'm happy to PM with you for more details. Both teachers danced in USA for 10 years before setting up the studio in Newcastle.

appleblossom

Tibor Horvath - brilliant teacher. Full time program but be prepared to work HARD.

http://studiotibor.com.au/

moostachiojoe

Thanks everyone for the links :) Appleblossom, studio tibor is not one that I have heard of before and sounds quite promising so thanks for that :)

Pavlina

We just moved to the Sydney region from the US, about 9 months ago. when we got here in April, I enrolled my then, 7 year old daughter into a local dance school. The teacher said she taught from the RAD syllabus, but I was not really impressed with the school over. The end of year recital was a nightmare. So I did some checking, and now my daughter is 8 and I enrolled her at Academy Ballet. I don't know anyone here, and all the other moms were pointing me to closer schools that didn't seem to have a solid ballet program. I am really hoping this is the right school for my daughter. If anyone knows anything specifically good about Academy Ballet, I would love to hear it! Thanks.

wembley

I have heard VERY GOOD things about their senior dancers. The classes are small, with a lot of indiviualised attention. Vicki Attard is a former principal with the Australian Ballet. Dancintheblood will be able to elaborate, as her daughter attends Academy Ballet.

Guest Blossoming ballerina

Pavlina,

There are a number of schools in that area, but I really would give this one a chance.

It looks quite good.

would love to know how you are getting on in a few months or so

:)

Redbookish

Academy Ballet has some of the best teachers in Sydney teaching there -- Vicki Attard & Kit Lethby for example. It should be fine.

Miss Persistent

I also agree - Academy Ballet has a VERY good reputation for turning out well trained dancers. I don't have firsthand knowledge of the way the school runs recently, but it is certainly worth looking at.

Pavlina

Thanks ladies. I'm not terribly impressed with the waist elastic....but if that is the worst thing about the school...:)

I'll give an update in a few months.

So far, Ms. 8 really likes it.