Ballet Talk for Dancers
moostachiojoe

Ballet Schools in Australia - Sydney

dancemaven   
dancemaven

Please remember BT4D policy is NOT to provide direct comparisons. Personal experiences and empirical information regarding each school is what is needed for each family to make their own comparisons and evaluations. :thumbsup:

Dance supporter   
Dance supporter

Sorry dancemaven. I'm after personal experiences so I can make my own comparisons. Thank you.

dancemaven   
dancemaven
:)

Guest Blossoming ballerina   
Guest Blossoming ballerina

It is a performing arts school but dance and particularly ballet are high quality.

My dd attends there international summer school very year. It's very intense.

We have a teacher at our ballet school who trained there.

She boarded.

The training was very intense also.

It has an excellent reputation.

AIBA is the full time course.

The training would be definitely on par with other well known ballet schools.

The principal of the dance faculty is a real gem.

Miss Persistent   
Miss Persistent

My personal experiences with McDonald College are that there are some very good teachers, they do produce some very good students, but they also produce a lot of average students too.... In the past they have taken in larger numbers than some of the other Sydney schools so what you see coming out on the pictures and the promotional material is their top kids - they may have come from a class of 30-40 where the other 29-39 are good but probably not stunning.... Now that's not to say it's bad training or they cannot produce good dancers - I just believe some of their class sizes are significantly larger than some of the other Sydney school who have perhaps 10-20 in a class. I also feel the academic studies at McDonald College are ok, but if you have a talented child academically they may not be challenged. That said, if your child really wants to dance then it is a convenient option for some families.

It's just they way some schools work - not just McD's. Some schools might have 40 in a class and produce 3-4 kids who get jobs in the end. Other schools take in 8-10 and produce 4-5 one year who get jobs in the end and the next year 1 or 2... It's up to everybody individually to decide if they want to small school or a big school - there are pro's and cons for both including costs, time commitments, in class competition, social reasons etc etc.

Dance supporter   
Dance supporter

Thank you Blossoming Ballerina and Miss Persistent. Does anyone have experience of smaller schools that are nurturing and supportive with excellent teaching for the young dancer (14) looking to transition eventually to full-time?

wembley   
wembley

I've heard good things about Academy Ballet - they have a very small intensive programme for senior students, with a lot of attention and mentoring.

Miss Persistent   
Miss Persistent

I can't remember if it's been said in this thread already but Alegria also has a very good reputation and smaller classes - Hillary Kaplan is the main teacher there.

chocakety   
chocakety

to chime on it too. Steven McRae (Principal of the Royal Ballet) was taught by Ms Hilary Kaplan!