Ballet Talk for Dancers
LovesLabor

Career: Strategizing for Junior Year

dancingjet

cperkins, great idea about the accordion folder. I'll pass that tip on to my DD in case it appeals to her. Believe it or not, she has yet to make an audition video for any program, summer, college or otherwise. I am dreading it, as just taking summer intensive audition photos has been stressful enough. She is also quite hard on herself, and the tension starts to show in her face and upper body as the photo shoot wears on. We've learned to try and keep those short, and plan on doing it more than once if need be. But shooting and editing videos will be a whole new arena for her (and for me). 

dancingjet

I guess we're technically strategizing for senior year now, but I thought I'd post an update. I'm really glad that DD had a start on her applications and essays at the beginning of summer, as it's made it easier for her to get back into them as summer winds down and school gets going. Not having to face a blank screen for her essays in particular was a huge help. She's taking the SAT again this morning, for the second and last time. She's taking the ACT in two weeks, and then she'll send off whichever set of score she feels better about. None of her schools required subject tests, so those are off the table for her. Only one school required SAT with essay, and she almost took that school off her list just to avoid having to do the essay portion. ;) It isn't high on her list, but it's still on it. As far as January/February, she's hoping to do as many auditions as is reasonable and then send videos to places that don't come to our area that might be a good fit for her. I honestly don't see how she can realistically hope for a trainee offer in time to defer college without incurring all of the other expenses (airfare, etc) unless she gets an offer with her SI audition and not at the end of summer. And I just don't see that happening for her, unfortunately. In fact, I'm at a point where I'm not feeling too optimistic about her college chances either, but maybe that is a conversation for another thread.

Lady Elle

Is there any reason not to send both SAT AND ACT?  Also, I have a chart that shows comparable scores between the two if any are intested.

dancemaven

You will get much better advice for those type questions on College Confidential---that is the focus of that network --all things college--while BT4D focus is ballet training.  👍

Lady Elle

Got it - thanks.

julisha

dancingjet and Lady Elle, I'm with you on this!  We are all in this together!  My update:  DD has completed applications for several schools and is waiting for other applications to drop on September 1st.  She will retake the ACT in September (took it in June and wanted to up scores) but some of the schools she applied to have dropped SAT and ACT scores as a requirement and made them optional as part of their "holistic application review approach".  We are relieved because DD is an outstanding student, but just not a great standardized test taker.  She has auditions in October and November for two schools and the rest will be in January and February 2018, with dates still TBA. I wanted to make sure that she completed applications early so that she could get early audition dates and would not have all her auditions at once.  DD was very fortunate at her high school to work on her personal essay in English class and have it reviewed by her college guidance counselor before school ended in May and during the summer break, so by August 1, she was ready to upload and click send.  DD decided not to apply to schools that require videos and prescreening, but she will have to work on solo preparation with her dance teachers.  Because certain schools have their own applications with no application fee, DD was able to forgo the Common Application. 

Overall, this process has been really positive for DD.  She has not ruled out auditioning for trainee programs, but is leaning HEAVILY towards a college dance program.  She feels she can be more marketable and versatile in trainee program auditions as a dancer with a college dance background.  Plus the college experience is very appealing to her after being immersed in the ballet world for the last 10-12 years.  Hubby and I have been proud of the initiative she has shown in making decisions about her future.  Good luck to everyone in the process!

dancingjet

julisha, it sounds like your DD is really on top of things! That is terrific. I'm hoping that by the end of Labor Day weekend, DD will be at the point to submit at least some of her applications. 

julisha

dancingjet, I'm sure your DD will be ready to submit by Labor Day!  Once they get started, they get on a roll with the essay writing and filling out the apps.  Good luck!

dancingjet

julisha, you were right. :) DD is essentially ready to hit "submit" though she's nervous to make it all so real!