Ballet Talk for Dancers
Millyc33

Dealing with nerves

Millyc33

Whenever I do a ballet performance I get really nervous, which I know is completely normal, but then as soon as I step onstage I get even more shaky and completely freak out! Most people I have spoken to, say their nerves go as soon as they get onstage, but mine often get worse...no matter how much I talk to myself before hand, nothing seems to help :( I love performing but it just makes me so frustrated that I can't control this shakiness which often means I don't perform my best as a result. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Victoria Leigh

Millyc33, yes, nervousness before is normal, but it really should go away when you enter the stage and get totally involved in the music and the ballet, and not thinking about yourself. This happens when one is rehearsed well enough to be confident in what they are doing, and the technique is strong enough for one to be confident in doing it. It needs to become consistent in rehearsals, and then, it's time to do what you are doing all that work for, which is to perform! If you know you can do it, you will get out there and go for it without having to think about every step. :D

ascballerina

Maybe talking to yourself makes it worse? I have stress issues not related to performing, and when I talk to myself during those times, it drives me further over the edge....

ballet.bunny

I know what you mean Millyc33! Yesterday was only dress rehearsal, but my costume was so difficult to get around in that it totally threw me off! I was shaking even after I got offstage :P When I get really shaky, first I make sure I've had enough to eat and drink, and then I take several big deep breaths. I try to stay quiet and go over the steps calmly, and just stay subdued and relaxed. I try to picture myself doing the variation perfectly in my head as well--no imaginary mistakes!