Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
lilypad

Needs recommendation for SI

lilypad

My DD recently auditioned for ABT YDWS NYC, KIROV, and BOLSHOI CT. She is 9 years old, will turn 10 in the summer. This is her first time audition. At the beginning, we just did it for fun, or maybe also tried to seek some confirmation of her ballet passion. She is in a regional pre-pro school since 4. But the first 3 years were just once-a week creative movement classes. She had the real ballet class for two and a half years now, in a slow pace like one or two classes per week. Her school teaches mixed style. She never did any competition or audition thing before this. After she learnt that she made into all of them she's become excited and really wants to go for it. We have already declined ABT because of its early deposit deadline. Now I don't know which one should we pick? We can only do the 2nd three weeks of either KIROV or BOLSHOI CT, because she needs to fulfill her local ballet school's SI 3 weeks requirement first. Can anyone who had sent their child off to the two camps give me some advise?

From the audition impression, the KIROV teacher is strict and nice, she gives corrections constantly. And it looks like KIROV focuses on the technics and basic fundamental things. And we probably will audition for their year round boarding program when she's 12 if she's still dancing and still wants to go pro at that time. But the BOLSHOI camp provides better supervision for young kids -- from other on-line reviews. And BOLSHOI's SI performance posted on the youtube looks awesome too. Any advise is highly appreciated, since I need to make a decision soon. Thank you for your reply in advance, since I'm a rookie ballet mom, barely know nothing about this new world.

dancemaven

Please take some time to review the dedicated threads we have for each of the programs in our SI Forum, along with their respective archived threads. Post specific questions you still have about the individual programs on their respective threads.

As she is so young and new to the SI gerbil wheel, I'd also recommend scrolling through the SI General Discussion Forum and dropping in on topics that catch your eye. That type of reading/research will go a long way in helping get things in perspective and helping you know the issues to consider and evaluate.

It is our policy here NOT to provide or offer specific suggestions or recommendations. After all, none of us can see your DD or know her level of training, personality or needs. That's for you, her, and her teaches to evaluate .

Happy reading!!

learningdance

SI gerbil wheel, it is aptly named. Made me laugh.

lilypad

Dear Dancemaven: Thank you for your thread. I will check it out. That is true, that to something brand new, I don't even know what to ask.

Mom2Kaiters

Dd did he first away intensive last yr at 11 (fall bday) it was a learning experience for both of us. She had to figure out quickly how to do her own bun, sew pointe shoes, do laundry, remember to take a shower, drink enough water, eat at meal times, etc. Lots that Dh or I didn't think about when the main focus was on her dance training.

lilypad

Dear Mom2Kaiters: Thank you for sharing your experience with me.

Let me reshape my questions. We like both of the schools, and guess they should be similar because they both teach vaganova style. After reading so many reviews of both SI, it looks like that you need to be very mature and independent to stay at KIROV. Especially the dorm is not on campus this year, it's at Trinity College 5 minutes away from KIROV. The campers need to catch shuttle bus back and forth at certain time of the day. And it looks like KIROV does not have an assistant living in the dorm building with the girls. There's not organized weekend outings, the older girls will take train to go out. This is the part scares me. I think that's too much for my DD to handle at this age if I did not misunderstand the input from other parents' reviews. The BOLSHOI has assistant to supervise the kids under 12, and they have organized outings on the weekends. For this part, I'd like to go with BOLSHOI.

But since my DD probably will audition for KIROV‘s year round in two years, it is nice to join their SI and get to know their everything in first hand. And if we say no to KIROV, would it make them not wanting to take us in the future auditions? (I read someone's post saying that it's not a good idea to just audition for fun and not going, the schools you rejected may mark your name on their "black list" and not offer you a spot when you are older and seriously want to go. On another hand, some said that you should audition to test your training, and to earn experience, since you will need to audition a lot if you stay in the ballet business. It's so confusing when you read too many threads.)

Edited by lilypad

anniebug

Hi Lilypad! We are actually going through the same choices with our dd (same age as yours! ) her audition process this year had been great and we were left with several choices.. Her first pick is actually a residence program also which we were very flattered that she was chosen for! Pick number two another bigger name SI accepted her also. Now the choices... Myself I'm nervous for her to go away for 4 weeks, worried at her age she will be homesick.. Eating right.. Sleeping.. Taking care of yourself even with the assist of a counselor or RA.. Seems a little overwhelming for our child.. Even though she's adamant she wants to go, it just might not be the best fit right now. We have decided to send her to the program where she can be a day student (grandparents live within a train ride) for my piece of mind as well as hers. You know your child best, so go with your gut feelings ! Best of luck to you both :)

Mom2Kaiters

Kirov the students 12 & under and some 13 year olds stay at Kirov. It’s older students that bus in from Trinity. There are RA onsite, but their purpose from my understanding is to look after the overall safety of the students. Students need to be mature to look after themselves with minimal supervision. My dd had a very positive experience last year, but it was a growing experience for both of us.

As to blacklisting, from what I read is this is a fallacy. A nice thank you & regrets letter IMO will keep you in good standings in the event your dd wants to audition for the program next year.

dancemaven

Honestly, decisions regarding which SI attendance--if any-- at age 9 or 10 will have no impact on future options..

Repeat after us: There are no 'blacklists' in the SI world---especially at age 9 or 10. We have several threads debunking this persistent urban myth. No SI has the personnel or time to monitor any such list for years on end for the number of dancers that pass through their auditions year after year.

lilypad

Thank you again. It makes sense.

lilypad

[Mom2Kaiters], Thank you for the details from your side. I thought I read that on their website too. But on the e-mail I received it says that they will use the Trinity for this year. I did e-mail back to try to clarify, but have not received any reply yet.

lilypad

Dear Anniebug, thank you for understanding my feeling. I know I would be nervous everyday if I let my DD camp away. But I hate to make her disappointing either. It will be a growing process for both of us indeed.

Bunhead Mama

My DD did Bolshoi for her first ever away intensive and we could not have asked for a better first experience for her. She did Kirov the following year and loved it as well. You can find my reviews of both in the Summer Intensive forum.

Keep in mind going away young is a nice perk but not needed. They need to be able to eat well, sew shoes, monitor their own bodies for injures, know their own limits, keep track of their belongings, do laundry, do their own bun and stage makeup, and navigate social circles without much aid before they can go away IMO. If she is ready then I would look once again through the reviews and start to zero in on things like food choices, RAs, activities, dorm rooms, etc. These items cannot be overstated when talking about young dancers. Older students tend to be able to deal with things better but with a young dancer a negative experience can send them clamoring to go home.

Best of luck with your decision. Personally I think they are both amazing programs.

lilypad

Dear Bunhead Mama: Thank you for your suggestions. I will go find your reviews of both SI and read them first.

lovedance

My DD did Bolshoi (CT 6 wks) at age 11 last year. Bolshoi was a great experience for her and I think that it is a perfect first summer intensive away from home. The majority of girls do 3 week sessions so attending the final 3 weeks will not pose any transitional issues for your DD. The counselors are essentially full time chaperones and really do more than just act as RAs. As a first sleep away, Bolshoi would have been my only choice. They gave me a great level of comfort and confidence and I thought it was a great intro to the SI "gerbil wheel". LOL.

Good luck with your decision!