Ballet Talk for Dancers
ballerinomom

SI Roll Call for Boys

ballerinomom

For information and networking purposes, I thought it would be a good idea to see where the boys are going this summer. Please state your DS's age and which SI he will be attending during the summer of 2014. Of course, you can also include other information you think would be helpful, such as other SIs attended in the past.

My DS is 12 (he will be 13 at the SI).

He will be attending the Next Generation Ballet SI at the Patel Conservatory in Tampa.

We chose it because of Peter Stark's reputation as an excellent teacher for boys, the housing arrangement (in a hotel very close by) and because it seems to have a good mix of training (two technique classes per day plus boys class) and fun (Disney World!).

Other SIs attended: Canada's National Ballet School, French Academie of Ballet (NY)

finallykf

Great idea!!

My son is 12 and will be going to Houston Ballet this summer. This will be his first "big" SI away from home on his own. We had some really tough decisions to make on where to go this summer. We were torn between two that he received full scholarships to - but were guided by his teachers to one. He is excited for Houston but upset that he had to turn the other one down. I guess that's a good position to be in - both have excellent men's programs and I don't think he could have gone wrong at either. But Houston it is!! He desparetely needs some male focused training so he is looking forward to men's class, partnering, and I think they get variations/rep and some weight training. It will be a testosterone summer.

He has gone to his home studio's 6 week SI for three years and did the ABT YDSW when he was 9.

mceejay

Hello,

My DS is also 12, will be 13 in a couple of months. He has decided to return to Bolshoi CT this summer. He was accepted at 2 other SIs that also have strong men's programs but he feels that Bolshoi is right for him at this time.

Last summer was his first summer at an 'away' SI. He attended his home studio SI for 3 years and then last summer he went to the first 3 week session of Bolshoi CT and then to French Academie of Ballet for the last 3 weeks of August.

mln

My son is 14 and will be attending Ballet West this summer. In the past, he has attended Next Generation, Kirov, and Orlando for two or three weeks each. We had some hard choices to make this time around.

mceejay

Ballerinomom, may I ask which class(color) your DS was in at FAB last summer? :-)

ballerinomom

He was at FAB the summer before last in the Blue group - he had a great time! He didn't do any ballet last summer - big mistake! I might look into squeezing in one week at FAB in August if there's room.

bluemountain

DS will be 13 in May, he will be going back to BBASI CT for three weeks, two weeks break (filled with ballroom) and then his home studio SI for three weeks. Then ballroom again for the rest of the summer. I hope to squeeze in at least a couple of weeks of full rest into his schedule.

slhogan

My DS is 15, and he'll be at Ballet West for 8 weeks (both sessions). He attended Ballet West for 8 weeks last year and is very excited to be going back. He attended Ballet Austin for 6 weeks (both sessions) when he was 13.

Ballet dragon

My DS is 13, will be 14 during the summer. Like finallykf, my DS received full scholarships from both Ballet Arizona and Orlando Ballet, so we also faced tough choices.

He attended the Rock School's program in 2012, and Peoria Ballet specifically to work with Servy Gallardo in 2013.

He went into this audition season wanting the following: a strong mens program, a smaller program, with family or friends as a possible bonus.

While he was extremely flattered by the scholarship opportunity at Orlando, he ultimately selected Arizona's six week because they have daily mens technique, partnering, mens conditioning and weight training. More importantly, they have committed to having no more than 20 dancers/level for a total of 80-100 dancers (compared to Orlando's 225 dancers). This was important to him since he felt that the Rock School was too big for him, and he is still pre-growth spurt and wanted more personalized attention to work on fine tuning his technique. We also have friends in Phoenix, so this was a bonus.

This was a great idea, ballerinomom!

Edited by Ballet dragon

5678Dance

My DS is 15 and will be going to Miami City Ballet School and the Joffrey Ballet School Jazz and Contemporary program. Like others we had some tough choices to make this year but ultimately I know he will have a great summer. Last year he attended Joffrey Ballet School in NYC.

mceejay

Ballerinomom,

FAB was wonderful for my DS. Wish he could attend again this August but we will be away for most of that month. :(

jflyte

DS, 14, going to Next Generation at Patel Conservatory. This is his first away from home SI.

dancemaven

I do hope you all will report back with your son's experiences on the dedicated threads for those programs after the SI!!! It will so help other Parents of Boys and the male dancers to have their reviews added to the others. :thumbsup:

Moxie

My sons are 13 and 16 and received full scholarship/room and board to Nutmeg. They will go there for the 4 week session and spend the rest of the summer at International Ballet Academy in Cary, NC with Servy Gallardo and Rossana Gahagan among others.

They've attended Virginia School of the Arts (RIP), The Rock (with Servy), 2 summers at Bossov Ballet Theatre.

chel

DS is 12 and will do the intensive at his home studio. We are lucky to have a nice sized boys program and I am not ready for him to be away yet.