Ballet Talk for Dancers
Clara 76

Favorite Royal Ballet UK Female Dancers

Clara 76

Of all time, etc.

KitriFan

I love Darcey Bussell, she has such a nice facial expression in addition to the phenomenal dancing. I especially love her Sylvia variation!! She was also the first professional dancer I ever read about, in a book my mom bought me when I was small, long before I started dancing.

Also, I think Natalia Osipova now dances for the RB? She's such a fantastic jumper, my absolute favorite current dancer.

Clara 76

I'll second Natalia Osipova, but she's not my favorite Giselle. She is my favorite Swanhilda! She portrays a sense of mischief and spunk in that role! Incidentally, Moscow State Choreographic Institute trained. Former Bolshoi.

Clara 76

Margot Fonteyn. And all without sticking her knee in her ear!!! Nobody does "Princess" like Margot!

KitriFan

I also love Ms Osipova's Kitri, she's soo energetic and Don Q is my favorite ballet :)

(Off topic: it would be nice to have a thread for ABT too, I have a favorite ABT dancer from the 80s..)

Doubleturn

Agreed Margot Fonteyn! However I also really like Leanne Benjamin who only just retired from RB. She was much loved by the cognoscienti, but never became so popularly well known as some other Principals. I've always wondered it it was because she didn't have the pretty "girl-next-door" look that RB seemed to prefer when choosing the dancers for publicity posters etc,

However, there is a long list of worthy candidates I could add! Nadia Nerina, Svetlana Beriosova, Lynn Seymour, Antoinette Sibley, Alina Cojocaru, Marienela Nunez, Tamara Rojo to name a few.

Clara 76

Before we add any American companies, I'd like to focus on the classical roots of ballet first. I started with companies that were formed in the 1700s or 1800s, with the exception being England's Royal Ballet, which technically began much later.

I'd like to see some of our teens doing a bit of research on these companies, dancers, training methods, etc. We'll get to American companies shortly, I'm sure!

Victoria Leigh

Fonteyn, of course! But I also really loved Lynn Seymour!

Lucycat

I second Fonteyn. And of the current dancers Marianela Nunez. I love her expressiveness. I have seen her as Juliet and nearly cried. So much emotions.

Clutterbug

I've loved watching Leanne Benjamin (only on DVD unfortunately). She is so distinctive and dances so much larger than her size. Technique is faultless and she is so expressive. I've just watched Frederick Ashton Voices of Spring with Leanne and Carlos Acosta….exquisite

petit-parapluie

I just loved Viviana Durante-- she had such wonderful technique and presence. Alina Cojocaru, though she left recently, was also lovely (and my personal all-time favorite). Although she is not yet a principal, Yuhui Choe seems well on her way to filling her shoes. All three are marvelously expressive, with a purity of line and a sort of inner glow that is irresistible. :)

swantobe

I love Marienela Nunez and Natalia Osipova.

I really enjoy watching the younger dancers develop and I was excited about Claudia Dean in particular, but unfortunately she has recently announced she is leaving the RB and professional ballet in general and returning to Australia.

As for other up-and-coming dancers, I really enjoy watching Romany Pajdak and Yasmine Naghdi.

Mellii

I recently saw Sarah Lamb in a filmed production of Sleeping Beauty and she's definitely a new favourite of mine! I thought she really captured the youthfulness, innocence, and exuberance of Aurora well and she was so lovely to watch, an absolute princess. I also love (off the top of my head) Marianela Nunez, Darcey Bussell, and Margot Fonteyn of course!

Dancingdreams25

Lauren Cuthbertson (Royal Ballet) is beautiful. I thought she was wonderful in 'Alice In Wonderland'.

balletgilly3

I really like Sarah Lamb, as well as Zenaida Yan-something...not sure how to spell her last name. She is amazing as Odette (I saw her in The Royal Ballet's Swan Lake in their cinema season...it was amazing but I wish I could have seen it live! I don't live in England :(