Ballet Talk for Dancers
ascballerina

PNF stretching

ascballerina   
ascballerina

A search turned up nothing.

Why does it work? My teacher has done it on my feet to stretch my arches, and I've seen her do it with other people for other things. Yesterday, we were talking about port de bras, and my teacher told me my arabesque arm in the second port de bras was not far back enough. So I tried getting it further back and it...didn't go. So she came over and pushed gently and created a massive stretch. Then she told me to do the PNF. My arm ended up all the way behind me after about three times, which is a place it's never been in all its eighteen years of existence. So how does that work?

Victoria Leigh   
Victoria Leigh

I hid a parent's post, but I'm going to ask the same question....what is PNF?

ascballerina   
ascballerina

Proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation. Please don't make me say that again!

10 seconds of resistance and 10 seconds of stretching. So in the example of yesterday, my arm was in arabesque, and my teacher put her hand on my shoulder blade to keep down and out, then put her other hand on my arm and had me push against her for ten seconds away from the direction I was stretching in. Then I relaxed and she gently stretched the arm backward, and it went further than it had before without me feeling as much of a stretch. For an arch stretch, you would try to flex against the other person's hands (they just resist you, they don't actively push) for ten seconds then relax and they push gently down into the stretch. I have a feeling I'm not describing this well, so let me know if you don't understand.

Clara 76   
Clara 76

Ballet work, when taught correctly, should provide that type of work in the body from day 1 of training. :wink:

I am going to ask our PTs about it though so that we can chat more about it!

ascballerina   
ascballerina

My feet were awful when I started, so

Even in the arms, Clara? I can see how a tendu might provide something similar, but no arm parallel...

Mathilde   
Mathilde

Moderators - could this be moved to Crosstalk? Seems like it would be of interest to many.

Victoria Leigh   
Victoria Leigh

We would like to do a bit of research on it first, Mathilde. Give us a day or two, as this is new to us.

ascballerina   
ascballerina

Sorry, Ms Leigh, I thought everyone would know about this.

Victoria Leigh   
Victoria Leigh

For now, this topic is still in YD. We are gathering information, and will very possibly move it to Cross Talk, but it's not there yet, so please hold off if you are not a young dancer! Thank you! :)