Ballet Talk for Dancers
Lidewij

Books: Eric Franklin

Lidewij

Hello everyone,

I want to buy some of the books by Eric Franklin, I already own Conditioning for Dance.

Since I am a full-time student, I cannot afford them all at once. I want to choose for now between Dynamic Alignment Through Imagery and Dance Imagery for Technique and Performance. Eventually I want to buy both, but I do not know which one to buy first.

I'm thinking Alignment would be most logical, because you have to be aligned before you start actually dancing..

So I'd just like to read the experiences of those who own (one of) these books.

Thank you!

Miss Persistent

I have Conditioning for Dance and Imagery for Technique. I think his Imagery for Technique book is found more widely - perhaps you could find it in a library and buy the other one? Either would be good I feel - his work is pretty consistent across most of what I have seen of his.

Garyecht

I borrowed a copy of Dynamic Alignment a few years ago and have owned a copy of Dance Imagery for many years. Actually I don't think you can go wrong getting either one first.

My Dance Imagery book has been used so much that the spine is broken and I have notes on almost every page. In fact I'm using it now when I dance at home (I have a space). What I like about the book is the number of images he uses to get a technical point across. Not all work for me. In fact I'd say less than half do work for me. But that's fine because there is never one way that works for everyone. I've also found that going back over parts of chapters has been quite helpful. If I do a class at home, I try to pick one or two images from the book to keep in mind as I go through the class exercises. It is the only dance book I regard as absolutely essential for me.

Ballet Bunnie

I had read all three of his books for my ballet classes in college. I personally think that the Dynamic Alignment book is more basic and provides more information on the basic anatomy side. I felt that I was inspired by the imagery book more, but perhaps it was because coming up with imagery was (and still is) not one of my greatest virtues.

Lidewij

Thanks for all the input, everyone! I think I will buy Dance Imagery. The other one possibly later, because I think it might be useful to use with patients (I'm soon graduating as a PT).

beyondthebarre

I have Dynamic Alignment, and Imagery for Performance, as well as Pelvic Power. They're all amazing and valuable, and I want to own all his books one day. Great stuff!