Ballet Talk for Dancers
eschmitt98

Dance Science

slhogan   
slhogan

Wow! Very useful-- thanks!

kjean   
kjean

Does anyone know of someone who has attended Texas A& M program or seen their dancers? My DD is interested in the Dance Science program with an intent to become a dance physical therapist. Is the technique strong at this school?

Lady Elle   
Lady Elle

if she could try to get into the Butler program at Ballet Austin and also attend university (will take a bit longer) she would get great training.

slhogan   
slhogan

Texas A&M is nearly a 2 hour drive from Austin, so that would be tricky.

I've known students that danced at A&M, but these were young women looking to become dance teachers. I haven't seen the dancers, so I don't know anything about the program.

They do have a Youtube page, so maybe watching that could be helpful. https://www.youtube.com/user/tamudanceproduction

WingedFeet   
WingedFeet

this is great info. My DD is only in 8th grade but is thinking ahead of PT as a second career after retiring as a professional ballerina :innocent:

eschmitt98   
eschmitt98

Bringing this back because I have a question someone may be able to answer!

So I am now a senior, and deciding between (essentially) two different colleges.

College A is a small liberal arts program, where the dance science piece is integrated into the dance major. The academics at the college aren't very strong, but they get the job done. College A seems to be stronger in dance with basically a concentration in dance science. I looked at the courses and there were no lab courses, which I don't like but will handle.

College B is a large public state university, where I would attempt (I've heard it is very difficult) to double major in dance and exercise science, but would probably end up just minoring in dance with a major in exercise science. There are multiple lab courses for the exercise science major, and the facilities there are amazing, lab-wise. But since I may only minor in dance, going to College B would be more exercise science focused. The dance program is great and has wonderful faculty.

So my question is this (and it's okay if no one has an asnwer!):

For graduate studies in dance science, which program would be more valuable? The more dance focused one, or the more exercise science focused one? I emailed the director of one of the schools I'm already looking at for dance science and she basically said it didn't matter too much, but what does everyone else think?

Thanks so much if you managed to read all this! I'm having the worst time deciding, I just cannot make up my mind!

Beezus21   
Beezus21

IMO, the "Mom" opinion, I think you would definitely be more employable after going to college B.

gav   
gav

Does either one have more smaller classes (ie more opportunities to work closely with profs) or co-op/work-study/experiential learning/undergrad research project opportunities? Those kinds of activities can give students something unique to offer a grad program (or employer)... as well as people who can write better/less generic reference letters.

dancemaven   
dancemaven

I would suggest you look at all the schools to which you might apply for the graduate work. It is quite likely that they may have different pre-requisites and you would want to position yourself to meet as many as possible to give yourself as many options as possible. Some graduate programs are highly selective in that they have few spots. I have no idea whether dance science is one of those, but that is something you will want to research.

You are very smart to be thinking ahead in how to get from 'here to there'. :thumbsup:

eschmitt98   
eschmitt98

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'll definitely look into both of those topics, gav and dancemaven!