Ballet Talk for Dancers
BW

Finding a Pre-Pro Ballet School in New York - New York City

BW

I am interested to learn if anyone here has any personal knowledge of either of these two studios in NYC and whether or not any of their students actually move on to preprofessional programs elsewhere or to aprentice positions in companies.

I have heard "good things" but it has all been hearsay and as "Juliet" posted on another topic (think it was re SAB) it really helps to hear it from someone who has direct knowledge.

Thanks. smile.gif

Guest samba38

My kiddo has attended BAE's August intensive twice and seen many of the students at other top SIs around the country. The style leans to Balanchine without the extremism you see at some schools. Checkwriter makes a good suggestion in visiting both BAE and Maestro to see which suits your dancer/family/budget best. I know some unhappy BAE people have huffed off to Maestro -- and vice versa. But this happens in every city with strong competing schools.

liebs

My daughter is in her second year at Studio Maestro and I am very impressed with the training she has received. Francois Perron (NYCB/Paris Opera) teach the lower levels and Deborah Wingert (NYCB) teaches the upper with Francois taking the pas de deux class.

It is my impression that girls from Maestro are accepted into all the well known summer intensives and Lauren Harris who trained at Maestro is in the corp at NYCB.

I've bee told that BAE has a more competative atmosphere on par with SAB's.

One of the nice things about Maestro is a week long Christmas workshop that begins preparations for the spring performance. It includes classes and rehearsals. No regular class time during the year is devoted to the performance, which I like.

But you should check out both studios and see which fits your kid.

liebs

At Maestro, most girls in Level 2 and 3 are taking 2-4 classes per week and the upper levels take more. BUT, Maestro does allow students to take single classes to supplement training at other studios and I've met several who are doing just that especially on Friday and Saturday. So call the studio and see what they think. I'd ask to talk with Rose (owner)or Francoise.

Guest samba38

Lying down on the floor? of course they do. I've encountered stage mamas who would hang like bats from the ceiling if they thought it was the only way to spy on their darling (or monitor the teacher whom they love to correct or trash any potential rivals. Rarely have I encountered someone so urgently connected to their kiddo's every pirouette who wasn't a few cupcakes short at the picnic). BAE has loads of open classes every evening and weekend. Take your kiddo in for a few, check out the studios, the environment, the teaching. I've talked with Julia Dubno, owner and founder of BAE, and she's a pretty astute businesswoman. Lourdes Lopez is the lead teacher but Dubno owns the megastudio. You might find it a relief to go to a school run by someone who actually knows administration adn education, not only ballet. Lastly BAE is about a block from the incredibly comprehensive 92nd Street Y where there are classes in everything under the sun, near the subway, near the buslines, near restaurants you can actually afford. You won't be bored around there.

I have no experience with Maestro but you should probably try that too. In two weeks you'll know which suits you gal best --for now. Kids needs shift as they grow and change.

Guest samba38

I don't think they have open classes during the day time but, unless they've changed drastically in the last year, there were classes every night, sat. and sundays too where adults dropped in as well as ambitious kiddos.

Guest sneds

HI!

Liebs..you must have your name or company confused..there's no Lauren Harris in NYCB...

Kate

liebs

You're right - I think her name is Lauren Toole. I have a friend named Lauren Harris.

Guest SMSCouture

BW...These seem to be the two studio's my daughters friend from the city attend.

My daughter attended BAE end of the summer intensives two years in a row and was very happy. She especially loved the partnering classes as there were plenty of men to go around! We found Julia to be extremely felxible as we start school earlier then in NYC...and I always was able to watch through the large windows!

citibob

BAE has observation windows in all its studios, so nothing is truly private. With abuse lawsuits the way they are these days, it is a prudent thing to do.

The BAE open class and children's program are somewhat separate, although they do share a couple of teachers. You might get a feel for the environment, but not the teaching, in the open class program. Open classes do not lean toward the work of Balanchine. There are some pretty impressive teachers who teach the open classes. One from the Ballets Russes, one was an ABT star, etc.

I know people who were students at BAE and at Studio Maestro, and have gone on or are moving on to professional careers. I could try to get you in touch with them if you like.

goldfish17

At least 5 students from last year's 7th level got into preprofessional programs elsewhere or to aprentice positions in companies. If you want, i can give you names of schools and companies.

Some BAE's teachers also teach at SAB. Level of instructions is very high, and overall atmosphere is both competative and healthy. If student is willing to work hard, there is a room for those who want to be professional and for those who just injoy dancing.

This year BAE increased number of hours required for each level.

And i really like those glass windows in studios :D

lulis mom

I decided to attempt to make my question fit under this thread rather than start a new one. Hope it isn't confusing. I've been wondering lately about other good year-round programs in NYC other than SAB. Are there other good choices? Also, does anyone know if SAB takes anyone into winter-term mid year or is it September only (assuming dancer didn't attend SAB SI)? If your ultimate goal was SAB, would BAE or Studio Maestro be a good choice in the interim?

Guest balletandsynchro

Just as an aside, Cheryl Yeager, who is a BAE teacher, also teaches at the ABT NY SI. :thumbsup:

maksimate

I'm not sure if this is the right board for this topic, and I apologize if it isn't! sorry!

But anyway, I'm going to be in New York City soon and I'm looking at starting Ballet while I'm there. I've done some research into the schools which offer open classes (which is all I can commit myself to, due to my leaving after 3 months) and ABT seems to offer the cheapest, am I right in thinking their classes would be the best quality? I could be flawed in believing they offer the best training simply because they're ABT, but do they?

If not, where else, that anyone knows of, offers could open classes? Thankyou so much!

Victoria Leigh

Maksimate, are you sure that ABT has OPEN classes? I have not heard that they do. They have a very limited school during the year, with only a few students who are selected for the program. In the summer they have a large Summer Intensive, but that is also only students who have been accepted in auditions around the country.

For open classes take a look at Steps. There are a number of very fine teachers there, and lots of open classes!