Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sarabande

Quoting between topics

Sarabande

How do you post a quote from one thread onto another?

ascballerina

Push the multiquote button on the post you want to quote, then navigate to the thread you want to stick it on and push "reply to (1) quoted posts" in the little box that'll appear in the lower right corner.

Alternatively, push the quote button, scroll down to the quick reply box, push the lightswitch button in the upper left corner of the menu, copy all the text that appears, push the button again, navigate to the thread you want the quote to go in, and paste in the the quick reply box.

If the quote is from a locked thread, copy the post, go to your thread, and paste it in between the bracketed words in this piece of code (which, for the record, is BB code)

[quote name="PERSON'S NAME"]

[/quote]

Change the "person's name" to the name of the poster--make sure you keep the quotation marks!!

If the thread is locked, I like to link back to the thread as well, to give the quote context if needed, and also just generally as a reference tool--no need to do this with an unlocked thread, as there's a linkback included in the quotation when you quote directly.

Sarabande

Thank you!

Pensive

I can't seem to quote in a post. It seems easy, but when I hit the "quote" button in the lower right corner, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

dancemaven

Once you hit the "Quote" button, you have to navigate down to the reply box at the bottom of the thread. When you move your cursor there, the quoted material will appear.

We do ask that folks be judicious in their quoting other posts. That is, edit out everything that is not pertinent to what you want to highlight. It is rarely necessary to quote a full post. That takes up bandwidth and interrupts the flow of the conversation.

Another way to choose material to highlight, is to highlight it with your cursor, copy it, then paste it into the reply box. To show it as a quote, bracket it with

a the beginning and

at the end.

Pensive

I hit the "quote" button and the reply box opened here, but no quoted material ever appeared. (For reference, I tried to quote your first sentence.)

When I tried to highlight, copy and paste, nothing happened either. Possible browser issue? I'm using Internet Explorer 11.

Edited by Pensive

ascballerina

Odd. I never ever use IE but on firefox and my phone's browser it works just fine. Failing that try copy-pasting the part you wish to quote and then put the quote tags around it like I showed in my earlier post.

dancemaven
:shrug: You are now beyond my knowldege. :(

Clutterbug

I just tried to post a quote as part of a reply in the same topic thread but it would not post. I have done this before and it has worked but not now. I ended up posting the reply without the quote. Perhaps there is an IT problem

ascballerina

Sorry dancemaven! :angelnot:

You can copy-paste the text into a quote box, which you can create by hitting the dialogue balloon, 7th from the left on the bottom row of buttons in the editor. Failing that, type

[quote] paste text here [/quote]

(putting it in a [code ] box like that lets you post the typed code without it becoming a quote box when you hit "post")

Clutterbug, any other browser you can try it on? Did it used to work in the past on IE?

dancemaven

ascballerina = Resident IT guru. :D

Clutterbug

I think it's worked now, maybe it doesn't work on an iPad?

Thanks ascballerina!

Pensive

Thank you!

ascballerina

Glad you figured it out, Clutterbug!