Ballet Talk for Dancers
Dave62

Tights with suspenders or elastic band?

Dave62

Hello all,

Been a while since I posted. I finally started a beginners class after 25 years away from it! My question is about type of tights and keeping them up. Do you prefer an elastic band rolled down or the tights with suspenders already knitted into them? Also any particular brands you find wear best and stand up to use.

Thanks, Dave

Edited by Dave62

Kini

Personally I use a 1" elastic band rolled down, never had an interest in suspenders but I see them a lot.

silvergreydancer

Rolled elastic. Take a look at the Bodywrapper M90. They are a bit heavier that M stevens!

MJ

I prefer suspenders, they never need to be adjusted. I also have elastic baseball uniform belts, they come in black and other colors very stretchy.

cosjo

I've started dancing ballet a few months ago and I have to buy tights but I don't know how they are supposed to fit! I've went to the store in my town and they only had one size (XL) and with elastic band and it reached my nipples. How long are they supposed to be?

silvergreydancer

Sizing is not that difficult but each type of fabric fits differently. if you give me a wasit and inseam I can help yo navigate the sizing.

cosjo

In my city store they only have Capezio tights. I'm 73cm (29'' I think) waist, inseam 88cm (35'') and 1.84 tall (~6'). From the conversion charts at capezio.com I think my size is a XL, but I tried them on and they reached my nipples. If I folded the top they would become baggy at the crotch. They didn't have other sizes I could try so I'm waiting.

Sizing is not that difficult but each type of fabric fits differently. if you give me a wasit and inseam I can help yo navigate the sizing.

Kini

Might want to take a look at the sizing charts over at boysdancetoo.com

GTLS Designs

Cosjo, tights are supposed to come that high. Give them a good tug and pull them up into all of the crevices. Then get a belt, or piece of elastic, and roll the tights down from your chest to your waist. You are good to go!

vrsfanatic

I am not a male but I do teach young men. For lower level work, it is helpful to use tights with an elastic to roll down. It helps to remind where the waistline is. Tights with suspenders are more for advanced students and for stage.

cosjo

Thank you very much. I'll wait for the arrival of all sizes and then try them again.

silvergreydancer

Thank you very much. I'll wait for the arrival of all sizes and then try them again.

Cosjo

29 inch waist correspond to a small in Mstevens and most other milliskin tights. You are tall so you will need to go up to a medium or a large depending on how much the legs stretch. An XL is too large for you! If they are cotton lycra or microfibe, I would go with a large for the leg length.

Bravo_Company

I started out by rolling down the waistbands. But unless the elastic cinch belt is fairly (uncomfortably tight) snug around my waist, I still ended up having to adjust, particularly the brands that are strongly elastic so more easily work their way downwards. I am handy with sewing so have since sewn suspender straps on to all my tights, as this makes them stay up more reliably without the feeling of a constrictive band around my waist. Plus if they ever do have to be adjusted upwards it is much easier and quicker to do. Also easier to put on and take off compared to using a cinch belt. Nicer looking smooth torso too I think.